Windows 3.1 on my old ppc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by XaPHER, Dec 15, 2010.

1. XaPHER macrumors member

XaPHER

I've managed to install windows 3.1 on my 80mhz Power Macintosh 7100. It is not slow because i have installed a 266mhz G3 upgrade in it. i used vitual pc 4 to use windows. I've installed everthing that was required by myself (dos 6, sound blaster 16 drivers, ethernet card) and now i can go on internet with it. Javascript is disabled.

I have some screenshots:

Écran 6.jpg

Écran 4.jpg

Écran 3.jpg

Écran 5.jpg

Écran 1.jpg

Note that i use the french version of windows 3.1 (...) so there are some
    french senteces , too

Any comments or questions?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Awesome work!

I used to run Windows on my old MacSE 30 with SoftPC

I know how challenging this can be
    Kudos to you!

3. XaPHER thread starter macrumors member

XaPHER

Is it a special version made for the soft Pc?

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That's pretty cool. I remember how slow it was running Windows 3.1 on my 7100/66 it could not touch the speed of a low end 486 it was more like using a 286, Windows 95 was unusable:rolleyes:. What is really amazing to me is how poorly Mac's competed against Windows/DOS computers. System 6 and 7 were far easier to use than DOS with Windows.

Windows 95 was a big leap forward though Windows computers did not really become user friendly until XP when drivers would actually install and you did not have to keep you Windows disk handy to install or uninstall third party programs.

5. TSE macrumors 68030

Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

I still think to this day in the 90's to early 2000's Microsoft Windows was superior to the Mac OS until Mac OS X 10.2. By that time OS X was stable and Mac OS X continued to kick XP's ass then Vista's ass until 7 came out. Now they are about neck and neck.