Windows 3.1 screensaver. Bear with me...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by carl201167, Jul 19, 2008.

1. carl201167 macrumors regular

Years ago (about 14 years ago in fact) I worked for Guinness and did a pretty early screensaver involving a bloke dancing around a pint with a catchy tune playing. The TV ad version is here

For posterity, I'd like to to preserve that screensaver. Problem is, it's in windows 3.1 format. Guinness.exe, about 1.3mb

Anyone got any ideas what can can be done? Other than finding a pre 1995 PC? Tools to emulate win 3.1 and then somehow screencap it and put it on youtube? Ideas much appreciated

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

scr 4 you

i grabbed the .flv off youtube, converted it to .swf, and then converted that to .scr which you could drop into /system32 and use as a screensaver on anything 2000 or newer. should also work on the 95/98 stuff, but i've nothing to test it with at the moment...

problem is that even zipped, it's 1.86mb which is to large for a forum attachment. drop me a pm with an email, and i can send it over if you like.

no idea on a conversion of the original .exe to current, and don't know of any easy way to accomplish that. have you tried dropping the original .exe on a current windows computer and trying to run in compatability mode? (right click on the .exe > properties > compatability tab > run for '95') most of the 3.1 and 3.11 stuff would run on 95 is the reason for the suggestion...

loved the ad. :)