Windows 64-bit - Worth the pain?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Quitch, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Quitch macrumors newbie

I have an iMac on the way for my GF, but I want Windows Vista on there too for the games she can't run under OS X. Since it's a completely 64-bit piece of kit I'd like to embrace the future, but it looks like Apple are going to make this hard for me owing to a lack of 64-bit drivers, this looks to be a big problem since the iMac will be using a wireless Mighty Mouse and keyboard, both of which rely on the bluetooth.

Does this leave me boned and in need of a 32-bit version of Vista, or can all this be made to work in a beautiful kludge? :)

2. Jkilla macrumors newbie

I was talkign to my friend about that the other day.. he said 64bit compatibility sucks...

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

why not just run XP. When SP3 comes out it will be 10000% better then Vista.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately now some (and in the future probably many) games don't run on XP...

5. macfan881 macrumors 68020

6. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

according to microsoft website sp3 for windows xp home/professional is sometime in the 1st half of the calendar year 2008

7. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

8. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Something to keep in mind. If you buy Vista 32 bit, you should be able to ask Microsoft for 64bit media for $10.00. I just did it for my copy of Vista Business.

So, look into that, if it will work for you, you could buy 32bit Vista, order up the media, and when 64bit Vista starts really seeing some action, you're ready to roll.