Windows 7 32/64 bit on MBP 2010

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by masterofbuckets, Oct 14, 2013.

1. masterofbuckets macrumors regular

Hi all, I am thinking of installing Windows 7 on my mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro and have few questions and would appreciate your feedback about them.

- Should I get the OEM copy or the normal version ?
    - Will that affect anything ?
    - I have 8 GB RAM, would Windows 64 bit detect all of it and at the correct speeds/timing ?
    - Would 32-bit version be more stable than 64-bit in general ?

Thanks

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

No reason to go with 32-bit unless you have a Windows application that will not use 64-bit. OEM is fine, or FPP/Retail (non-upgrade).

Stability should be the same between x86 and x64. x64 would see all of the RAM, but would not use any shared RAM (nor does OS X).

3. masterofbuckets thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response.

I read that the OEM copy can have issues as it gets tied to the system. I don't plan on installing Windows on another computer yet.

But I'd like to have that option for any future systems that I buy or build. Does that rule out getting an OEM copy ?

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

The EULA for the OEM version states that the software must be sold with hardware. Apparently something as simple as a power cord has met this requirement in the past. Regardless, in addition to that, the license is supposed to live and die with the machine it is installed on. When you install it on the MacBook, you are no legally entitled to install it on another computer - even if you decommission the MacBook. The only stipulations is that if the computer has a major component go bad, you can replace that with a like model.

If you get the FPP (full packaged product) at retail, there is no transfer restriction. You are entitled to transfer it to another machine as long as you remove it from the original one.

5. masterofbuckets thread starter macrumors regular

I decided to go with the OEM copy of Win 7 64bit. Figured I would be satisfied with it for atleast couple of years.

I have a problem though. I am on 10.6.8 and my BootCamp Assistant version is 3.0.4. But I need version 4 in order to install Windows 7 and I can't find any download links on Apple site for it. I am only seeing support drivers and other stuff but not the actual BootCamp Assistant version 4.

Seems like I need Lion or Mountain Lion in order to get version 4. Oh well, this might make me want to upgrade after all these years ironically.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

Bootcamp 2 and 3 can install windows 7, even though it says xp and vista only. Run the bootcamp assistant in snow leopard, then when it asks you to insert the dvd, insert the windows 7 dvd. Install windows, but don't install the drivers from the snow leopard dvd. Download these drivers instead:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

So in short, use boot camp assistant from snow leopard, but install the newer windows 7/8 drivers

7. masterofbuckets thread starter macrumors regular

Cool ! I'll give it a shot on the weekend.

8. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Difference Win7 on MBP and MP

Hello friends,

thanks for this info so far. I would like to ask one question here, since its the exact topic. I have successfully installed Win7 on my MBP2010. It is installed on a partition on my SSD. Now I am running out of space, so I will make this CD swap and put a 2nd HD into the Opti-bay.
    Can I transfer the Bootcamp Win7 partition on the 2nd HD? I want to have the SSD for OSX and the 2nd HD for Win7. Is this possible or advisable ?
    Somehow I could not figure it out yet. My second HD will ship in next week.

Thanks in advance folks!

Alex