Windows 7 32-bit versus 64-bit on 27" Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by robbr2084, Oct 27, 2009.

1. robbr2084 macrumors newbie

Hello all. I wanted to let you know of my experiences attempting to install Windows 7 Professional on my brand new iMac 27".

I purchased the machine new on 10/24/2009. It has the ATI 4670 video card, not the Nvidia.

I made four seperate attempts to install Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Each attempt fails the exact same way. When Windows Setup is on the final reboot prior to completing the install, it starts up and displays a message, "Starting Services". Then it displays a message box stating that a problem occurred and windows needed to reboot to continue setup.

After that I am hosed. I cannot determine what the problem is and how to get around it. Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note: I also have a copy of Windows 7 32-bit Professional. After formatting the BootCamp partition, the 32-bit version installed with zero problems (black screen aside). If you plug a second monitor into the Mac the display is actually on that monitor.

If anyone can offer any advice on how to overcome installing the 64-bit version, that is what I really want. I'm holding off on activating this copy of windows for a few days to see if anyone can offer a solution to the problem installing the 64-bit edition.

Thanks very much,
    -robb

2. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Windows 7 has not yet officially been supported by Apple in Bootcamp. They said that in the very near future, they will update Bootcamp 3.0 to include support for Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit. Hopefully your 64-bit one is not an upgrade version instead of the full one! :rolleyes:

3. COR macrumors newbie

It seems to work for me!

I just finished an install of 64 bit Windows 7 on a new MBP 17 with Snow Leopard. Everything seems to work fine. I have not had time to completely check it out but so far - so good. It may be my imagination but it does seem to make my MBP run much warmer. I would assume that the battery life will be less but again, I have not had time to check it out.

COR

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

IIRC there is an issue regarding the "default" ATI driver on Windows 7 using the new iMac's ATi cards.

The solution appears to boot into Safe Mode, and manually delete this ATi driver in the C:/Windows/System directory.

Do a Google search, and you will probably get the detailed answer.

5. lumberjack macrumors member

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I just forced the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers to install by elevating the BootCamp64.msi from a command prompt. My MacBook is unsupported for 64-bit Windows, right...

7. tech0925 macrumors member

tech0925

Hello

I have the new Imac as well and installed the 64bit Windows 7 and everything works great! I love it, best windows yet. Anyways, the only problem that I had was the sound not working. I fixed this by simply downloading the driver from realtek. :apple:

8. NZPacifikRoze macrumors newbie

Please Help

Hi Eldorian
    Could you tell me how you forced the Boot camp drivers to install? I would really appreciate it if you could provide step-by-step instructions.
    Thank you so much for your time.

Btw, did you manage to install the 64-bit Windows 7 on your iMac or the 32-bit?

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

How do you mean forced ?

When I install the bootcamp 3 drivers, I simply copy the bootcamp folder on the snow leopard disk to the desktop and run the setup.exe

Install's without issue.

The fan control doesn't seem to step up, even when machine is under heavy load and that's worrying. I noticed it too in my MBP.

Only work around I have found at the moment is to boot OSX first and set SMCfancontrol up high, then restart and boot into Win 7. Don't shutdown, just restart/reboot.

10. COR macrumors newbie

Fan Control?

What is SMCfancontrol and how does one set it to high? COR

11. robbr2084 thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows 7 64bit on iMac 27"

Has anyone else had any success installing the 64bit version of Windows 7 on the iMac 27" ?