Windows 7 32 or 64 bit on my Macbook Pro???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Toddsta, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Toddsta macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro, w/17" monitor.

I'd like to put Windows 7 64 bit on it, but when I tried through a partitioned Bootcamp install, I got a screen asking for 1 or 2 cd boot option.

I'm not sure, but I think my laptop may not be compatible with the 64 bit version of Windows 7??

I have a 2.4 ghz Core 2 duo. the laptop was probably purchased in 2006...

If I can't install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, can I install Windows 7 Pro 32 bit through bootcamp? Will this get rid of the 1/2 cd boot screen during the Bootcamp install?

My unit came with only 2gigs of ram.

It also came with Leopard pre-installed, and I think this was right about the time Leopard came out.

Serial # is W87483FVXA9 if that helps.

Also - I tried Parallels 6 Desktop and I got Windows 7 Pro 64 loaded on that oddly enough, but it was Dog Slow, and then I began experiencing boot problems.

So, is it better to use Bootcamp? Does Bootcamp mean that you are actually running Windows instead of a virtual machine that is sucking resources for both OS's like Parallel's does? Would I experience better performance out of Bootcamp?

Thanks good people!

2. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

You'll need another 2 Gb to get W7 running in a VM properly. As for your first question, I can't answer that for sure, but I think it unlikely that your mac isn't compatible with W7-64. If you have only 2Gb of ram, then there's no real point installing W7-64 anyway.

If you don't want to buy 2Gb more of ram, then stick W7-32 on bootcamp. That will work fine, I imagine.

3. brandone macrumors member

Your mac isn't supported, but it is compatible. Once you have installed Win7 x64 with bootcamp, you will have to enable the administrator account to run the x64 bootcamp driver installs. Right click my computer, manage, users, administrator, properties, enable account.
    Once you have done this, log into the administrator account, navigate to the x64 folder on your SL DVD and right click the installer and run as administrator. Good Luck.
    P.S. anyone who thinks that you can run it from any account with admin privileges is wrong, it MUST be the actual administrator account.

4. Toddsta thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... but the immediate problem is that it WILL NOT even let me install Windows 7 64 into Bootcamp to begin with.

Will installing Snow Leopard help?

Thanks... if I can get Windows 7 64 bit into Bootcamp successfully, then I can follow the balance of your suggestions

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There really is no reason to run anything but 32 bit on your machine unless you add RAM. The only benefit of 64 bit is being able to address a full 4 GB of RAM. On machines that have less RAM, you actually can degrade performance because you need to keep both 64 bit and 32 bit DLLs in memory.

If you insist, create the partition with Boot Camp Assistant, but then deviate from the standard process. Just insert the disc and boot the Mac holding Alt/Option. You may also need to modify the install disc using what is known as "jowie's method".

B

6. Toddsta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I have 4 gb of replacement ram on the way.

I'd like to be able to have access to more ram for Photoshop 64 bit CS5.

Snow Leopard is being installed as I type this. I read on Apple's site - where it says Snow Leopard allows 64 bit operations and software compatibility. Is this true?

If so, wouldn't it be a simple process to install Bootcamp once Snow Leopard is installed? Plus, Bootcamp with Snow Leopard is a newer version.... would some of these issues be addressed?

Thanks.

Oh - What's 'jowies"????

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The only support Snow Leopard provides is in the Boot Camp 3.x drivers. If your Mac isn't on the list http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1846 it still isn't supported.

http://www.jowie.com/blog/post/2008...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx

Since the older Macs shipped with a 32 bit version of EFI, they aren't happy booting Windows Vista and 7 64 bit install discs directly even though once you have it installed it works fine. You need to tweak them or deal with a "Select CD-ROM Boot type" prompt that you can't get past.

You will also need to force BootCamp64.msi to install since it will see your machine is not supported and won't install the drivers for you.

B

8. Toddsta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks balamw.

What about the idea of just skipping 'Bootcamp' and using Parallels 6 desktop? With the new 4 gigs of ram?

If not that, are there very detailed instructions for the Bootcamp install using Windows 7 64 bit... through the Jowies method?

I'm not that computer savy with Mac stuff... :)..... and need step-by-steps to get me through.

Thanks.

9. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

If you're not intending to run games, then you may as well VM it. The extra 2Gb will make all the difference.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you run a VM you still won't be able to dedicate more than 2 GB to the VM so you still end up not getting a benefit from 64 bit though it should run better than when you had 2 GB of physical RAM. So I'd still recommend sticking with 32 bit in that case.

Stick with a supported configuration and you'll get more support and handholding if you want to go unsupported you'll need to do some work.

B

B

11. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

If you want native speeds (meaning as fast as your computer will go) use BootCamp. It's by far the fastest option. Best of all, it's free.

And yes, use Windows 7 64-bit, hands down. There is very little reason to use a 32-bit OS anymore. 64-bit drivers have been out and plentiful for many years now. Just be sure get the latest Boot Camp update(s).

And if you can, try upgrading to 4GB of RAM. RAM is cheap, and the added 2GB will benefit you a lot in both Windows and especially OS X (OS X loves RAM). EDIT: Looks like you've already ordered more RAM. Well done! You'll thank yourself later, trust me.

12. Betheeem macrumors newbie

Older Macs

The older macs like MacBookPro1,2 will not really utilize more than 2GB of RAM even if it lets you install it. I had to install Windows 7 32bit on all my machines that were older.

13. johansen macrumors newbie

Hi Toddsta, nowadays i'm in the same problem like you..

I want to install windows 7 64bits... (actually I uses Leopard and Windows 7 32 bits..) Whats the problem when I put DVD and appears the message "..boot type cd: 1 or 2..." and my keyboard not response...

So.. After time, Could you put in your mac the Snow Leopard?? I also have an EfI32 but I don't know If I can install the SL in my earlier MacPro 1.1

Thanks, I 'd like receive some experience from someone having the same problem...

Sincerely,

Juan.