Windows 7 32 or 64 on parallels 6????

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ferri1c, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Ferri1c macrumors member

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

I am not computer savy at all!!!!!

I will only be using windows when playing poker. The poker software I like to use is only Windows compatible.

I already own parallels 6 but I have not installed it yet.

1. With Parallels 6 and my currents computer specs listed above, what do I need? Windows 7 32 or 64?

2. Is it easy to install parallels and Windows 7? Is it self explanatory? If I only will be using windows for online poker what is the partition ratio that would be required?

Thank you in advance.....

2. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

Windows 32 bit has a RAM limit of 3.25 GB. Windows 64 allows you to address the full 4 GB of RAM in your system (but of course, you only have 4 at this point, so you would only be allotting ~2 to Parallels / Windows).

I would go 64 just so you have room for expansion, but at this stage 32 would be just fine. There is no cost difference.

Parallels is a snap to install and if you have the Windows disk it nicely walks you through the install and activation of Windows. Parallels gets negative points for their constant upgrade offers and registration prompts, but is otherwise nice and zippy.

I would allow at least 50 GB for Windows. Others will probably tell you to expect 25 - 50 GB.

The "partitioning" happens on the fly and will be created as an expanding drive... taking up as much as it needs (starting at 16 GB, usually).

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

You should be fine with either version. When you purchase Windows 7, only the Ultimate version will come with both x64 and 32 bit versions. The other versions will have one or the other (but the Product Key will work with either). You will not see an advantage to running the x64 version in a VM unless you are trying to run x64-specific software. And from your description, you will not be.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom