Windows 7 64 Bit Drivers...... I don't get it?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mbrellisford, Nov 24, 2009.

1. mbrellisford macrumors member

Sorry if there are topics on this already.

I installed Windows 7 64bit on a boot camp partition on my new Macbook. I remember when I installed Boot Camp 2 on my iMac, it allowed me to burn a cd with all the drivers. There was no option for that this time around. I want to be able to use my multi-touch track pad and I just can't seem to find out how to do it? With the last version everything just worked and took me step by step, whereas this time, I'm a little confused....

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depending what Mac OS X version you have, Windows drivers reside on the Mac OS X Installation DVD, which can be used in Windows.

But Apple, and Snow Leopard, still don't support Windows 7. It is rumored to come by the end of the year.

Maybe MRoogle will help you further.

3. mbrellisford thread starter macrumors member

Not supported? Dang! If I knew that I would have just installed XP haha. Back to the drawing board I suppose!

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you have a Snow Leopard DVD this hack worked great for me on a 2006 Macbook. Which refuses to even install bootcamp drivers on a for Windows x64 since it does not meet Apples supported devices criteria. Works great in Windows 7.

If you don't have Snow Leopard it is only $30. Plus you will have the latest Mac OS.

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Not quite what I would call a hack, but they work very well. Just once you've installed the drivers; go to the video card website (nvidia.com or ati.com) and download the Windows 7 64bit drivers and install them. They'll really improve performance.

6. ATC macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

Hey thanks for posting this; spent the whole evening here trying to get things to work but only this did the trick. I now have everything working as it should on my 24" iMac and Windows 7 x64, with Bootcamp 3.0 installed. Even volume and brightness control from the KB are working. Looks like 7 x64 is fully supported after all on my iMac. :)

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I forgot to mention that. My Macbook is Intel so it did not occur to me as there is no good performance with GMA950;)

With the good responses to the trick in this thread and others. It makes you wonder why Apple does not just let you install x64 boot camp drivers on all these models without the workaround. The only explanation is to force you into buying a new notebook even though there is absolutely no need to do so.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

x64 on a GMA950 MacBook is rather pointless. The chipset is 32bit so you can never address mor ethan 3GB of RAM. Since most apps are 32bit, you get no real benefits from x64 but it takes up more space (both memory and HD).

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Except when I sell this thing I can format the drive and take my Windows license with me. My next Macbook would have 4GB+ of RAM.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The license is not tied to the bitness of the OS, only the version (Home Premium, Professional, etc...). What is tied to the license is the hardware so if you change machines you may have to get MS to reactivate your license.

11. LeviG macrumors 65816

not if its a retail, you can transfer a retail version of windows to another machine as long as it's not active on any other machine.
    Retail also comes with 32bit and 64bit media.

If it's an oem then it is fixed to the motherboard of the machine unless there is hardware failure and it needs replacing. Not sure on upgrade

12. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I agree. I installed x64 on my MBP w/nvidia 9400m, and the performance was great after the driver update. I was wowed. Uninstalled 7 though, no use for it at this time.

13. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I'm still wondering what drivers I installed then. :confused:

My Windows 7 Pro 64bit works pretty good so far on a '09 MacPro.
    The installed drivers were on the SnowLeo CD which came with the computer.

Besides the fact that Firewire and auto-sensing on both Gigabit NICs don't work, it runs flawlessly.