Windows 7 64 BIT failed to install via Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MythicFrost, Jun 1, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey, I'm installing Windows 7 64-BIT on Boot Camp, I selected an unused partition, selected the option "Create a second partition for windows", set it's space to 131GB, inserted my DVD, which boot camp accepted, restarted, loading the windows installer for me automatically, I selected that boot camp partition, I clicked Format on it, after that was done, I click next, and it says "Windows is unable to install on the selected drive" error 0x...... (can't error code)

The hard drive I am installing it on will be in slot 2 (it should be, I only have two hard drives)

Anyone know what's wrong?

Kind Regards

2. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The hdd I'm installing it to is called Disk 1: Partition 3..

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you have to install to Disk 0, but Disk 0 is where my Mac is installed, and it has little space...

I'm taking 131GB from a 1TB storage hard drive I have (DISK 1), and installing it onto a partition created from that...

Why isn't this working (please reply quickly, I really want to install this now)

EDIT: the error I get is Windows is unable to install to the selected location: error 0x80300024,
    I'm googling it at the moment, it seems it has something to do with having more than 4 partitions or something??

EDIT 2: I did rename the ISO file I downloaded from: "7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso" to "win764.iso".

Kind Regards

3. grue macrumors 65816

I ran into a similar issue… moved my boot camp drive into Bay 2, then it worked fine. No idea why.

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hmm, unfortunately I have no experience opening my mac,
    and it should be in drive bay 2.. How do I tell

5. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

The drive bays are numbered from one to four, with one being on the left (nearest the front) and four on the right (at the back). There should also be some numbers on the drive sleds themselves.

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I see, thanks

In disk util, it says the hard drive bay id is "Bay 2", does it mean its in bay 2?
    is it possible it requires bay 1? it shouldn't

7. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Hmm, that shouldn't matter...

With my system, I have the stock 640GB drive in Bay 1 (which is strictly for Mac use.)

I pulled a 150GB Raptor, and 2 300 GB seagates out of my old Windows desktop machine and put them into bays 2, 3 and 4 respectively.

I used Disk Utility to repartition and format the 150GB drive and then installed Windows 7 64 bit onto that. The other 2 drives, I left as is, NTFS formatted from my old machine. Everything worked just fine. No slowdowns, etc.

8. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Can you run 'diskutil info' under OS X and tell us what it reports?

Note: the way Windows is installed with Windows 7 has changed
    somewhat. A normal installation creates 2 partitions:

(1) Boot partition.
    (2) System partition.

9. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Maybe that's the difference... With my setup, I let Windows have the entire drive, so it could do whatever it needed to with it...

10. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hmm maybe, I've been told from apple support removing the OSX drive before booting from the dvd would help, does that mean take it out of my computer?

Will that hard drive be in bay 1?

EDIT: PS does it keep 2 drives? or does it just use two for installation?

Kind Regards

11. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I'm not sure how much help I can be as I didn't use Bootcamp to install Win7-64. I used Disk Utility to partition my spare drive (which is actually in Bay 1) then booted off the Windows 7 DVD by holding down C at boot.

I then just followed the prompts to format the 100GB partition I had made and Win7 installed just fine. Afterwards I popped in my OS X DVD to install the drivers.

12. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost