Windows 7 64-bit on a mid-2007 iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zen, Dec 19, 2011.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

This is an old question, but in my defence, I have searched the forums, and I have Googled, but all the info I have found is at least a couple of years out of date and most links to various tools and tricks go to dead pages (even Apple's own support page).

I have a mid-2007 iMac, and I want to install Windows 7 64-bit.

With Lion, and Boot Camp 4.0.1, do I still need to do something fancy to get the 64-bit Windows 7 to install and run, or does it just work now?

I'm familiar enough with Macs, but when it comes to Windows and EFI and BIOS, I'm new and I don't fully understand the terms.

Your help would be appreciated!

2. carljw macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 Mac and have Windows 7 x64 running using VirtualBox with guest additions. Straightforward install, it is a bit slow but for the 1 app I use it works for me.

Carl

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I must say that I have not tried with the recent version of Boot Camp on the iMac, but I would think you will still have the same error with the prompt to select the boot image where you cannot press any key. I haven't tried it personally so take it for what its worth, but I don't think the upgraded Boot Camp and/or Lion will change this feature because it is a limitation of the way the iMac boots. Once you get it installed, you should be able to run msiexec /i to install the Boot Camp drivers. This worked on my 2006 iMac.

4. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Great, thanks for that link. I did see something similar before, but there seems to be a fundamental problem - I want to install Windows, yet I need to use ImgBurn... which is a Windows app. I don't have Windows, that's what I need to install.

I guess the best thing to do is get the free trial of Parallels, install Windows in that, use ImgBurn, then install via BootCamp.

5. lampliter macrumors member

Yes that is the only catch, you need access to windows. Maybe you could use a buddy`s PC or go the way you mentioned. But remember there is a sequence in which you need to install windows, meaning I'm not sure if it`s bootcamp first or parallels first to avoid licensing problems. If you search it you will find on the mac forums.

6. plethon macrumors newbie

plethon

I ran Windows 7 Professional 64–bit on an early 2008 MBP. I used a boot camp partition; I tried VMWare, but it hampered what I use Windows for (games) too much. You should be fine installing 64–bit Windows 7, just follow the instructions.

7. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

If I installed Windows 7 in Parallels with no internet connection, wouldn't that avoid any activation? I'm not familiar with what Windows 7 does to authenticate itself.