Windows 7 64-bit on my Mid-2007 MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ThrowTeerex, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ThrowTeerex macrumors newbie

Just thought I'd let all you out there know I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my Mid-2007 MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz C2D[Santa Rosa]; 2 GB DDR2; 160 Gig HDD) - and I did it all for about 40 bucks. It was a bitch, but after two days of messin' around and countless Google searches later (gotta love the Touch), viola: full 64-bit Windows 7 on my "unsupported" Mac.

First thing I had to do was get rid of that old Tiger. Snow Leopard for 30 bucks is a great deal, and installing is easy. My original intention was to do a clean install, but I actually accidentally upgraded directly from Tiger to SL, which I didn't think was possible. I went with this at first, but ultimately opted toward the clean install for various reasons. Now, with the easy part behind me, it was time to install 7...which ended up taking much more than 7 hours. ****ers.

Being a student, I was able to pick up an UPGRADE ONLY version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for 7 bucks from my unversity. It was like waking up on Christmas morning all over again - I had just pretty much stolen the newest and best operating systems of our day, and with only one OS left to install, I was just about home free! Or so I thought...

I started off running Bootcamp normally, thinking I'd have 7 in a mere few hours. After sizing my partition, I restarted the computer to be greeted with an error. "CDBOOT: Cannot boot from cd - code 5" After much heartache and lost hair, I came across this website: http://www.gopulls.com/blog/2009.08.26/install-windows-7-x64-on-a-mac-beat-the-select-cd-rom-boot-type-error/ This site walks you through how to burn a copy of your Windows 7 64 bit disk that will boot in an "unsupported" x86 mac. Note that ImgBurn is Windows program, so you need a PC with a DVD burner - luckily I live in a house with 5 guys who all have Windows laptops. The directions are very clear and the tasks are simple, yet I still managed to **** up my first copy.

After copying Windows 7 for a second time, I ran Bootcamp again and to my great pleasure, it booted. I formatted my Windows partition, and began the install. After an hour or two, Windows had installed and I was prompted to put in all my info, etc. I was finally finished!.... not.

Remember how I got a great deal from my university on the UPGRADE ONLY version of 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate? Well this is because it's just that - upgrade only, and my product key would not work because i had done a clean install. One must have an existing product key from Vista of XP for this to work properly. If you are not aware with Microsoft OSes, they allow you to continue without the product key and use the operating system for 30 days, at which point i assume they cease all function until you have a valid key. It was about this time I began thinking: "I just spent half a day on an operating system i can only use for 30 days - ****!"

After bitching a bit to the roommates, it was time to consult the all-powerful Google. Lo and behold, my problems were solved: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html I chose OPTION THREE, and it worked perfectly.

The final problem was the Bootcamp drivers off the disk didn't recognize my MBP as a valid x86 device. This was an easy work around... Google helped yet again. I just went into the disc and located the x86 executable file, and ran it in Vista mode. Game, set, and match.

All in all, this took me over 12 hours in a 2 day span. The first day mainly composed of installing SL twice, messing around with that stuff, and getting pissed at my Windows error message. The next day, after 8 hours of intern work, I worked on installing windows for another 8 until I finally succeeded. If i put as much effort into my intern work as i did this, I probably would have already secured myself a job for after graduation! Ha, really though, Google is god.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You mean x64, right?

Just note that the 30 day clock can be reset up to 3 times giving you a total of 120 days to "try" Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/875-activation-trial-period-extend-up-120-days.html

You could have dropped by here earlier and found all of this info right here in this very same forum.

B

3. ThrowTeerex thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, x64. Good call.

As for finding all this info on this forum, I find it easier to let Google do my sorting. I know I did use this forum to verify that I could install 64 bit Windows 7 on my system, but finding the process for which to do so wasn't as easy.

4. nmlascan macrumors newbie

H, I am using a macbook pro made in 2007 late. I wanna install windows 7 64bit on it. However, after insert the windows 7 64bit boot disk into my internal dvd-rom, the screen always shows "no bootable disk, please insert boot disk and press any key". I've tried many disk but none of them can boot my mbp.

5. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

As the OP says you have to create a special Windows install disk. You can't just put the standard one in an unsupported Mac.

I used the method posted in theflickguy's post on page 2 of this thread, and successfully installed Windows 7 X64 on an old Mac Pro and MacBook Pro from the same special install disk. Probably very similar to the OP's post.

Note also that Windows install disks have to be in the internal superdrive....won't work from an external burner if you happen to have put an optibay or data doubler in your MBP.

6. nmlascan macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. Of cause I was using a special windows 7 install disk made by following the tutorial http://www.gopulls.com/blog/2009.08...a-mac-beat-the-select-cd-rom-boot-type-error/. Secondly I was using my internal superdrive to boot my MBP. I am confused why my screen always shows "no bootable disk. Please insert boot disk and press any key." even sometimes I was using 32-bit windows 7 install disk. It's quite strange.

7. nmlascan macrumors newbie

One more thing, the file "oscdimg.exe" mentioned by theflickguy in his post is no longer to be downloaded as its link is broken.

8. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Sorry, I hadn't understood that you had made a disk....the message you reported is the same by people who put the standard/retail disk in.

I am no expert in this but I was able to follow theflickguy's instructions and they worked. There is obviously a lot that could go wrong!

I did save that oscding.exe and will try and attach it in a zip to this message. Try PMing me if it fails.

Attached Files:

9. nmlascan macrumors newbie

Hello, thanks for your uploading.
    I had just tried the tutorial written by theflickguy. However, when I had finished making ISO file and just started to burn it to DVD, an error shows. BTW, I've tried to different brand disks, both of them were failed to be burn successfully.

Attached Files:

10. nmlascan macrumors newbie

hello, I just switched burning software from imgburn to ashampoo and successfully burned the iso file to DVD-r. Then I insert the DVD-R into my internal superdrive and press c. Nothing happened---screen became black for several seconds and go on into windows 7 32-bit starting screen. I'm failed.

11. nmlascan macrumors newbie

Thanks for GOD! Finally I succeed!!!
    Windows 7 64bit works well on my old MBP now!

12. EthosX macrumors regular

Did u installed from usb?

13. nmlascan macrumors newbie

not usb driver but dvd!