Windows 7 64-bit on Thunderbolt SSD (Activation Issues)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shortcut3d, May 30, 2012.

1. shortcut3d, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I was able to successfully get Windows 7 on a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD in a Seagate GoFlex 2.5" enclosure connected to the Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex 2.5" adapter. I used Norton Ghost 15, which is bundled with the drive to clone an existing Boot Camp drive. The is making sure the Windows boot drive letter remains C:. This is accomplished by setting the destination drive as unallocated space in Disk Management (warning: this will destroy all existing data). In Ghost, make sure to select copy MBR and DO NOT assign a drive letter. Once the drive is cloned, DO NOT restart with any other existing Windows 7 drives as the drive letters will be changed and cause Windows 7 to fail. You may have to do a PRAM reset to get the Mac to restart and correctly detect the OSX partition.

Now on to the issue. Since doing this I've had issues maintaining my Windows Activation. Once I type in Windows serial number it activates fine. However, a few reboots from the Thunderbolt SSD the drive into Windows 7 causes the Windows to prompt for authentication. Any clue what could be causing this to happen?

2. shortcut3d thread starter macrumors 65816

Since posting, I have not had to reactivate Windows 7. I did use a tip to remove old network adapters to go in and remove duplicate drivers in video, network, and controllers. It appears the reactivation was caused because Windows re-detected a lot of components.

1.Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
    2.Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
    3.Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.
    4.Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
    5.Right-click the dimmed device, and then click Uninstall.