Windows 7 64 bit Partition problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Slinkington, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

Hi there,

I installed Windows 7 32 bit through boot camp the other day, but found that if I wanted to utilize all my ram I'd need 64 bit, so I went and deleted the Windows 7 partition and in stalled Windows 7 64 bit in it's place. There are a few strange problems I've had with this.

Firstly, when I tried partitioning my Macs HDD, it wouldn't let me do it by 100GB, like I had done before - It had to be either 99GB or 101GB. For some reason it would just skip 100GB. Secondly, after I had installed Windows 7 64 bit, I noticed that I had about 40GB of data used up on my boot camp partition. This was just after installing the OS, no software at this point.

Any ideas what's going on here? I've found some software wont work with 64 bit, so I'm going to install 32 bit AGAIN but I hope not to have any weird HDD storage problems.

Thanks for any info. :)

----------

in fact since I've turned my iMac on, I've noticed I've lost almost 1GB of hard disk space, and I've not downloaded or installed anything. Just posted on here. What's up with my HDD? :(

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Windows 7 64-bit does take up more storage than Windows 7 32-bit.

If you really are concerned about your disk failing, fire up Disk Utility on OS X and check the SMART status of the disk. It will give you an indication if there's something wrong.