Windows 7 64 bit upgrade question?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GerryGilli, Dec 23, 2009.

1. GerryGilli macrumors newbie

Hi Guys!

This may well be a stupid question, but here goes anyway. I've just received my very first iMac -(over the moon I am!) but I need to run windows on it for certain software programs. So, I have ordered a Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Upgrade (still waiting for delivery after 5 weeks!), which will work fine on my PC machines, BUT can I install this on my iMac under Boot Camp or in Parallels? Or do I need to first install a Windows Vista/XP version on the iMac to then upgrade??:confused: I guess I'm hoping that I will be able to install it directly without any need to install a previous version. :rolleyes:
    I currently have Windows Vista 32-bit on my PC and according to M. my Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Upgrade will not actuallly upgrade Vista, it needs to do a complete install (probably some problem with switching from 32 to 64 bit?).

If anybody could point me in the right direction with this I'd be grateful! Thanking you in advance and the season's greetings to all of you out there!
    GerryGilli!:D

2. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi Gerry,

You can install an upgrade version without any previous instances of windows on your HDD. Technically that’s not an issue.

sash

3. GerryGilli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks sash for your speedy reply - now all I have to do is hope that my software package arrives soon, so I can get it up and running!

Regarsd from Germany!:D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The win7 upgrade will not get beyond you typing in the registration #, it will report invalid registration number.

You'll basically need to reboot the computer (using the CD not the HD), and then re-start the install process a second time, be sure to select the second option (upgrade or install) and it will then install and accept the registration code.

That is, win7 requires an OS to be present on your machine to finalize the installation process - at least it did for me. By going through the double install, you can get around this problem.

btw, I technically own licenses to both XP and Vista so I'm not cheating MS out of anything, I just didn't have them installed.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

6. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

I've clean-installed and activated an upgrade version of W7 — without having to use another (original) disk or even type in the product key of the previous OS.

sash