Windows 7 64 Bit via Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by crankeymankey, Aug 20, 2013.

1. crankeymankey macrumors newbie

I recently tried to install a Windows 7 64 Bit Version on my Mac Book Pro Retina 15" via Boot camp. Everything went well but after Windows installation had to reboot the computer all I saw was a blinking cursor. I have been thru lots of forums and hours but I could not fix it. I'm really desperated so I hope some can help me.

I also tried to the 'repair your computer' or restarted a million times with out any success.

Does maybe anyone know how to enter the Command window because there are some commands to shorten the boot time. I read that the problem is exactly the boot time. But I could not fix it at all!!

Thanks for your help!

2. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Hi, a blinking cursor indicates that the computer could not find the Windows installer disc/drive for some reason. You could try restarting and hold down the option/alt key when you hear the chime while reboot. The gray screen will then show all the bootable icons and select the Windows one to boot. But this may also indicate that your Windows installer was not working properly and you didn't mention how it was prepared, a USB drive, DVD disc or what?

3. crankeymankey thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Book Pro Retina without a DVD drive. So I used a USB stick with a a Windows Image on it. I also tried to the alt key option and selected the USB but same result. Could it be that the Windows Image is defect???

4. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Assuming you used the option in Boot Camp Assistant to create a Windows 7 USB boot drive, I have to wonder where your ISO file came from. Unless you got it directly from Microsoft's download site or extracted from a Windows Install DVD, I think you may have a problem with the ISO source. Another possibility is to borrow an external DVD drive and use a Windows disc to install.

5. crankeymankey thread starter macrumors newbie

I used my old Pc to make a ISO Image of a Windwos 7 Cd. Maybe I have to get a DVD drive for my mac. I tried it the other day again with Usb and even after an hour I still had that stupid blink cursor!!!

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Try completely erasing that USB Flash Drive in Disk Utility, removing all partitions, an all Boot Camp Assistant to recreate it.

What SKU of Windows 7 x64 are you attempting to install?

7. crankeymankey thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked now. Thx man!!! :)