Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idreaminbeige

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
I'm running Win7 ultimate 64 fully up to date, with bootcamp 3.1 running on my 2009 imac.

For some reason whatever software I try (alcohol 52, daemon tools, virtual clone drive) images mount, so I can see the files on them, but when I try to use these files/open an application I get this message or something similar:

attachment.php

I've checked around as much as I can. Im definitely using the most up to date Win7 compatible versions of the virtual drive software, and after reading about a potential conflict with the SPTD layer (not fully understanding, just doing) I updated this to the latest 1.69 as well.

Could this just be a problem for bootcamp users? Any help very welcome!

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 479

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It looks from your screenshots that the image file is mounting because there is a drive letter associated with whatever the image is, in this case it is E.

It looks like you are trying to run a software installer that may not be compatible with Win7 64 bit. Though most software that runs on 32 bit will also run on 64 bit. There are exceptions though. Maybe it's not compatible with Windows 7. What is the software?

I don't think mounting the image (an iso file?) is the problem.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

FWIW I've used virtual clonedrive on w764 successfully.

B

idreaminbeige

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

FWIW I've used virtual clonedrive on w764 successfully.

B

Yep, whenever people have had problems before it's been using old software before win7 compatibility came along. My VCD is 5.4 so it should work fine.

Im trying to mount a game installer (i DO own my own copy) so the 64bit version issue should'nt matter, its for mass effect 2 which was only released at the start of the year.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
same issue here, W7 x64 on latest MBP with 8GB RAM.

recent games as:
• Batman Asylum, MA 2, Assasins Creed 2 fail with such message that it's not compatible.

all these games should work on W7 x64.

Using latest daemon tools lite. WTF !?

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
Yes, I have noticed the same behaviour under Win7 64 bit, for a few apps. Never figured out why. For a while it drove me 'nanas but now I've more or less given up. (I did actually toy with the idea of just reinstalling Win7 32 bit but that seemed a little extreme.)

One thing - does anyone know if this issue is daemontools-specific? Like do the same errors occur with CloneCD or whatever those other image mounter apps are called?

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
installed old XP sp3 32-bit. tried both Daemon tools and virtual clone drive.
both fail to mount images properly!

i've the ISO files on external FW 800 drive. real headache.
i know in the past when i had C2D 2.93GHz MBP it worked.

is something different with the i7 CPU architecture that mess things up ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.