Windows 7 64bit on external SSD won't install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Xiaodao, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Xiaodao, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

Xiaodao macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Ok I tried 3 days now and i'm getting more and more frustrated and angry:

I bought a late 2013 imac some days ago. Since the Windows 7 Install on this machine won't use the fusion drive and is stuck on the regular hdd, i thought: Well, you've got that nice Samsung Evo 1TB in your late 2009, so why don't just grab that one, plug it into your new imac via usb (with an icybox external usb 3.0 enclosure) and install windows7 on that.

Here's where the problems started:

The SDD had it's "normal" speed in my late 2009 imac. Well, not Sata3 because the older mac can only do Sata3 but anyways. Since i've been playing around with installing, formatting, partitioning the drive over and over, i'm now at about 150mb/s sequential read/write. That's the same for OSX as well as for Windows Benchmarks. wtf???

Second problem is, i never got to run windows7 on that external ssd. Winclone won't work (disk doesn'T show up in bootmenu. has bootcamp be to be present on that disc so that winclone can work?) and when i try to move my windows7 bootcamp from the internal fusion drive via the samsung migration tool, the external drive shows up at boot, but the prompt keeps blinking a little bit too long (about 3 secs, should only be half a sec as i know it) the windows logo is missing from the next screen where it says that windows is loading and after that i'm wondering why the next screen shows this little green bar that can be normally seen if you are actually installing windows. After that -> BSOD and reboot.

Another way i tried: a fresh install from an external dvd drive with an original windows7 dvd. i don't get very far with that: when choosing language country etc. on the first screen it won't even show the mouse cursor and just locks up.

Btw, Running Samsung Magician to find out more about the SSD and/or to make a secure erase won't work because, you can guess it already: Magician won't find the SSD but that seems to be a common problem.

Another thing: Sometimes i get the automic play thingy in windows 7 which is triggered when the ssd is plugged in. but the ssd IS already plugged in. Same thing for OSX where it tells me that i removed the drive and plugged it in again ??

HEEEEEELP Please !!!!!

2. MacMini-Windows macrumors newbie

Windows will not install on an external drive by design.

Are you going to run windows primarily? If so then break the fusion drive (there are instructions floating around for that) and then install OS X on the spinner and then install Windows on the SSD. I do not like to have both windows and OS X on the same drive - had problems before. Then, if you are so inclined, you can clone OS X onto an external SSD after installing windows. And that's what I will be doing with my next Mac mini, if one gets released, already have a 256 Gb SSD with OS X on it and can use it externally.

(I run windows 98% of the time and use OS X for partition imaging with Winclone - highly recommended, just a very satisfied user, no interest in the firm)

PS bootcamp will not run (and install windows) if you run OS X on an external drive.

3. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

All the issues are related to USB.

Windows 7 can't boot from a USB volume. Thunderbolt might work though.

Samsung Magician can't read the disks SMART status over USB. Again, Thunderbolt might work.

The performance issue is also most likely related to USB speeds. In OS X open System Information -> USB and check what link speed is reported for your external drive. If the reported link speed is 5 Gbps, the SSD might just need TRIM, but if 2.5 Gbps or anything lower is reported, the disk is not using full USB 3.0 bandwidth. This could be an issue with the enclosure or the cable, as the disk getting unplugged by itself would also suggest.

TRIM also won't work over USB.

4. freeuser macrumors regular

Windows can be installed external

but not the easy way, search for "Windows to Go". My conclusion was to install Windows on my internal SSD and boot Mavericks on my external SSDs, ok, not the clean way (for a Mac), but it runs great ;-).