Windows 7 64bit or 32bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macmaniacattack, Jun 9, 2010.

1. macmaniacattack macrumors newbie

macmaniacattack

OK, I just got my new iMac yesterday and I have a Windows 7 64bit disc and 32bit disc, question is which one should I install?

It's the 27inch iMac i7 with 8GB of ram. I'm thinking 64bit but I would prefer taking advice please.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. macmaniacattack thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaniacattack

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

With 8 GB of RAM it's a no-brainer, as only 64 bit will support that much RAM. 32 bit would only give you somewhere between 3 and 4 GB of available RAM.

B

5. macmaniacattack thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaniacattack

Sooooo, I used bootcamp did the install, it turned of and on a few times, now it wont boot back up. Should I wait a while or is this abnormal

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you used the OPTION/ALT key during booting to start the boot selector?

Or did you use the Boot Camp Control Panel in Windows to select Mac OS X as a start up disk?

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

7. macmaniacattack thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaniacattack

ok, so the last thing I saw on the screen after restart was windows logo and it read that windows was starting up. Then the screen went blank. WTF, should I do?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. macmaniacattack thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaniacattack

thank god for applecare, I talked to a guy and he helped me through that part. Basically I ended up shutting down manually and restarting, got into windows safe mode and now it's back on , The "Setup is preparing your computer for first use" screen. How long does this usually take?

10. macmaniacattack thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaniacattack

I might give up on installing windows7 on my mac. I just restored my drive to a single partition.

11. macmaniacattack thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaniacattack

So I gave up, restored to single partition, went to work, came home, and booted up my iMac , only to get a no bootable device please insert disc and reboot_ message. Hit the power button, rebooted holding option, and decided to re-install OSX Snow Leopard. I dont want to have to hold down option everytime I restart my mac. I cant stand windows, and will never ever try installing it on my mac again. I hope it runs fine after reinstalling fresh without having to hold option to boot into Mac drive.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You don't have to even with Windows installed. Boot Camp Assistant sets your startup disk to Windows to facilitate the install, but you can easily switch it back once you have everything installed.

B

13. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

W7 x64 tiny /lite edition

where to find a minimalist W7 x64 edition that won't eat 25GB space as x64 ULTIMATE ?

i need it for couple games. i've 8GB ram and don't need the bloated SW that's included.