Windows 7 activation help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mjmaniti510, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Mjmaniti510 macrumors newbie

I bought Windows 7 ultimate from ebay and the Product code that came with it turned out to be used. I got a full refund and was able to keep the full version. Now i have a Unactivated version of Windows. Can i just buy the upgrade like in http://www.staples.com/Microsoft-Windows-7-Anytime-Upgrade-Home-Premium-to-Ultimate/product_820230Here they give you the product key to upgrade, Can i use this and run a full activated version of windows? Is it possible that i could just get the same version just the Profession edtiton cheaper?

2. SkippyScud macrumors member

Does it tell you it is not a legitimate copy or does it prompt you to call to activate. I find once I've recycled my license on a few machines (I upgrade a lot) I have to call them and let them know I'm activating on a new machine I built/upgraded. They give me an activation code over the phone.

My wife used her old Dell restore disk to get Win7 on her machine, we just had to call to reactivate as well.

If you are a student (or have a friend/family member who is) they typically offer discounts through school stores where you can get an upgrade or full version for a fraction of the price.