Windows 7 activation problems, only in VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MaxBurn, Feb 10, 2012.

1. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I have a windows activation error 0xc004c008 but only inside VMware Fusion. When I reboot into botcamp/windows activation says it is fine. I don't see how one copy of windows can be both activated and not activated at the same time unless VMware is interfering somehow??

The history is I did a bootcamp install of windows 7 a week or two ago and all went well, windows activated fine. I bought fusion and that brought the bootcamp version into OSX which works great. About a week later I get the activation eror above, but again only when I am in the bootcamp partition through VMware. Booted into the bootcamp partition natively without vmware I can do updates and check activation and all looks good.

I haven't called windows activation yet, am I going to have trouble with them?

I saw one other post with this specific code that had some coaching on what I should say when I call in, have any advice on that as well? Apparently I need to avoid mentioning the dreaded mac.

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Normal behavior when running thru any VM ... windows sees a different hardware configuration.

Just proceed to reactivate thru the phone and then both activations (different hardware profiles ) will be ok.

Each time you change your vm configuration ( like give it more memory perhaps ) you will need to re-activate so don't change it often or without any good reasons!

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Just make sure you've installed VMware tools before you activate, otherwise Windows may want to activate again after you do.

4. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

OK this I didn't do so that might be the issue.

Now do I tell them about the mac and vmware or just make something up?

5. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

First off ... as long as you are really running "on the same hardware" there is nothing to feel bad about. Windows will retain multiple different activations based on the hardware ... you are doing nothing wrong here.

Do the phone based activation ... follow the screen based instructions ... it generates a code ... you put it in and get one back which you enter on your pc ... when it asks you how many machines you are using this copy of windows ( or office etc ) on you honestly answer "one" ...

6. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Done. I didn't realize you don't even talk to a human these days.