windows 7 advice - Home premium vs professional

maflynn

Original poster
Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Yeah, I know I'm on a mac forum, but I still have a question regarding this and its quite simple too.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting win7 but I'm unsure of which flavor to buy.

I've seen the chart on MS' website showing the differences but I'm still not sure. It will be used on my MBP, mostly for home stuff but I will be logging into work via RDP quite often. In the past if I didn't have RDP installed, I could easily install it from MS website, not sure if this is an option if I buy the home premium

Advice and opinions are definitely welcome.

btw, I'm talking about the full version and not the upgrade which is why I'm asking since the price for the professional is 299

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
I personally have Ultimate as I had Vista Ultimate before hand (and loved it) and I like the name Ultimate compared to Professional :p

Anyway, looking at the options I'd pick Professional over Home Premium for the Windows XP Mode and Domain Join which I consider useful :) it comes down to what do you want to use from the features really and if you will need any of them in future.

Oh with HP I don't think you can have RDP but I am not 100% on that so google is your friend there :)

Comment

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
One reason I don't understand MS, the multiple editions of their recent operating systems (XP, Vista and 7). :rolleyes:

I think you'll do fine with Professional, but you can go for the Ultimate edition too.

Comment

maflynn

Original poster
Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
That's what I was leaning to as well, but I was hoping that the home edition would suit my needs - oh well. At least amazon has it for 260. I'm shying away from the oem version because I can only buy 64bit or 32bit. Retail provides both and with the retail flavor I can at least transfer the license if I need too. Newegg as the oem flavors very cheap, but I think I'll be painted into a corner with those.

Comment

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I would go with Professional personally. All editions, including Home Premium includes the RDP client, allowing you to connect to a RDP server. However, unlike Professional, Home Premium does not support remote desktop connections to itself. In other words, you cannot connect to a Home Premium's desktop via an RDP client.

Comment

maxfan1

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
One reason I don't understand MS, the multiple editions of their recent operating systems (XP, Vista and 7). :rolleyes:

I think you'll do fine with Professional, but you can go for the Ultimate edition too.
Of course Apple has OS X and OS X Server as well. Makes it quite confusing for the consumers.

Comment

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Of course Apple has OS X and OS X Server as well. Makes it quite confusing for the consumers.
Joke, right?

I always get the Professional versions, since Home Premium is missing parts of the OS. I like to have a complete package and not be hindered in any way.
Personally I'd go for Home Premium. The only thing I use Windows for pretty much is gaming. XP Mode is pretty much next to useless (and if you do want it, make sure your CPU supports it. Many CPUs, even new ones, don't). And I don't even know what domain join is for.

Like others said, it depends on what you need and want.

Comment

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
How in the world is that confusing? they are both for completely different markets, Consumers have OS X, Professionals can have OS X Server (or just OS X, they can have both :D ).

Only a moron would buy server by mistake, especially as it is priced at $499.00 and not $30.00 (upgrade).

Comment

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
If you want to save money just use your .edu email address (or just find someone who will let you use their .edu email address) and go to www.win741.com so you can get the professional version for $29.99.

Comment

maflynn

Original poster
Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If you want to save money just use your .edu email address (or just find someone who will let you use their .edu email address) and go to www.win741.com so you can get the professional version for $29.99.
I'm not a student and that would be dishonest. Yeah I'd save a boatload of money but committing fraud is not something that I want to pursue.

Thanks anyways.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.