windows 7 advice - Home premium vs professional

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Dec 11, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I know I'm on a mac forum, but I still have a question regarding this and its quite simple too.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting win7 but I'm unsure of which flavor to buy.

I've seen the chart on MS' website showing the differences but I'm still not sure. It will be used on my MBP, mostly for home stuff but I will be logging into work via RDP quite often. In the past if I didn't have RDP installed, I could easily install it from MS website, not sure if this is an option if I buy the home premium

Advice and opinions are definitely welcome.

btw, I'm talking about the full version and not the upgrade which is why I'm asking since the price for the professional is 299

2. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I personally have Ultimate as I had Vista Ultimate before hand (and loved it) and I like the name Ultimate compared to Professional :p

Anyway, looking at the options I'd pick Professional over Home Premium for the Windows XP Mode and Domain Join which I consider useful :) it comes down to what do you want to use from the features really and if you will need any of them in future.

Oh with HP I don't think you can have RDP but I am not 100% on that so google is your friend there :)

3. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

One reason I don't understand MS, the multiple editions of their recent operating systems (XP, Vista and 7). :rolleyes:

I think you'll do fine with Professional, but you can go for the Ultimate edition too.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I was leaning to as well, but I was hoping that the home edition would suit my needs - oh well. At least amazon has it for 260. I'm shying away from the oem version because I can only buy 64bit or 32bit. Retail provides both and with the retail flavor I can at least transfer the license if I need too. Newegg as the oem flavors very cheap, but I think I'll be painted into a corner with those.

5. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I would go with Professional personally. All editions, including Home Premium includes the RDP client, allowing you to connect to a RDP server. However, unlike Professional, Home Premium does not support remote desktop connections to itself. In other words, you cannot connect to a Home Premium's desktop via an RDP client.

6. maxfan1 macrumors newbie

Of course Apple has OS X and OS X Server as well. Makes it quite confusing for the consumers.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I always get the Professional versions, since Home Premium is missing parts of the OS. I like to have a complete package and not be hindered in any way.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Joke, right?

Personally I'd go for Home Premium. The only thing I use Windows for pretty much is gaming. XP Mode is pretty much next to useless (and if you do want it, make sure your CPU supports it. Many CPUs, even new ones, don't). And I don't even know what domain join is for.

Like others said, it depends on what you need and want.

9. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

How in the world is that confusing? they are both for completely different markets, Consumers have OS X, Professionals can have OS X Server (or just OS X, they can have both :D ).

Only a moron would buy server by mistake, especially as it is priced at $499.00 and not $30.00 (upgrade).

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

If you want to save money just use your .edu email address (or just find someone who will let you use their .edu email address) and go to www.win741.com so you can get the professional version for $29.99.

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not a student and that would be dishonest. Yeah I'd save a boatload of money but committing fraud is not something that I want to pursue.

Thanks anyways.