Windows 7, Air, snipping tool

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I want to take a screenshot of an open menu in Excel 2003 in Windows 7. The help file says to use a keyboard shortcut using the print screen button, which of course doesn't exist on a mac keyboard. The boot camp help file shows a key combination to replicate it, but the combination doesn't seem to work, possibly because I'm trying to press too many buttons - Fn Ctrl Alt Shift F11

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
That's the snipping tool I'm talking about. I want to capture an open menu, but of course as soon as I click away to launch the snipping tool, the menu closes. The help file says to launch the snipping tool, hit escape, open the menu, then press Alt+print screen. There is no print screen button, the boot camp help says you can replicate it with Ctrl+Shift+F11, but Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F11 does nothing, neither does Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Fn+F11.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I've used it more by telling it that I want to capture a Window and click.

You don't need the snipping tool to hit any of the various print-screen keypresses.

I'll experiment on my W7 box at home if I remember tonight.

B

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
If you can, I'd appreciate it. I'm away from home at the moment. I have a real windows box there, but if I'd taken my hated boat anchor of a Toughbook with me, I'd have had to pay excess baggage fees!

I've had a user query, and I forget how much I've learnt about Excel in the past year, so the instructions I left weren't sufficient. I wanted to give them a step-by-step guide with pictures. I've made do with words at the moment, if that's still not enough I can always take a picture with my iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.