Windows 7 - am I just too impatient??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ukdavvy, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ukdavvy macrumors newbie

Right - Im trying to get Windows 7 on my i5 27" shiny quad core iMac
    Its up to date (as it should be) and running bootcamp assistant 3.0.1

Ive been surfing/researching madly and have sorted a flash drive with the Apple drivers as described here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

Things go well up until the final menu screen on the install when it just goes black and presumably looks for the drivers plugged into the flash drive on the back USB port of my imac

Ive left it for up to 20 mins with a black screen and minimal signs of disk activity on a couple of occasions without joy
    All I can think of is that I need to leave it longer

The only thing bugging me is that the sequence of steps at point 6 in the instructions on formatting the flash drive
    It wouldnt let me do it exactly as described in steps a to m, I think steps 'f' and 'l' are reversed however I ultimately have a MS-DOS(FAT) drive enabled as master boot record with the drivers and unattend file

Any help very gratefully received

Cheers!

2. ukdavvy thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so I lost patience and nuked the driver as described here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=851746

Im in!!

However Im not sure where to go now for the best

Is downloading and running Bootcamp 3.1 the sensible option now I have Windows running or shall I insert my snow leopard DVD and run that instead?

Advice appreciated

Cheers

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You must run the Bootcamp 3.0 drivers from the Snow Leopard install DVD before you can run the 3.1 drivers found through Apple Software Update/manual download.

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

3.1 is an update. You have to have 3.0 installed first to update to 3.1. Put the Snow Leopard DVD in and install Boot Camp 3.0, then download the 32-bit or 64-bit 3.1 update (I'm not sure which one you're using, so there's links to both).

You don't need to do these next two things, but for optimal performance you might as well. From there, download the latest Nvidia or ATI driver from their official sites, as the graphics driver that 3.1 installs is not the latest. After that, run Windows Update to get be 100% sure that you have all the latest drivers.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Learn something new every day....I wondered why my 2.01 BC drivers wouldn't update to 3.1!