Windows 7 and 8GB ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ncstatered21, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ncstatered21 macrumors regular

So installed 8GB ram in my Macbook Pro 13". Much quicker in OSX and was hoping to see similar improvements with Windows 7 through Boot Camp. I am an engineering major and run Solidworks. The program itself is severly SLOWER than when I had my 4GB of ram in. I am just really confused if I am not utilizing all the ram, it just surprises me how slow it runs. Any suggestions?

Specs:
    Late 2011 Macbook Pro 13"
    Intel i5
    8GB ram

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Hmm thats odd.
    I have Win 7 Ultimate with 8GB RAM on 2011 MBP 17in and it runs great.
    When you mean faster like multitasking?

Because RAM is to make your Mac easy to multitask not to give CPU bumps

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'd need Windows 7 x64 and solidworks x64 to take advantage of all that RAM. If you're using a 32 bit version of windows and solidworks, they cannot utilise more than 3.25gb of RAM.

And you can actually stand using solidworks on a 13" screen? I'd be pulling my hair out with such a low resolution. There's also the fact that the intel 3000HD isn't really suited for the heavy lifting CAD programs require.

4. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

good to know about 64 bit :)

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Are you running the x64 version of Windows and Solidworks?

6. ncstatered21 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes 64 bit on both ends. But I can check to make sure because I recently reinstalled everything because I had to get a new laptop. Last one was stolen. I will mention the previous computer was Late 2008 with Nvidia. But it still makes no sense. And I am in the process of setting up my monitor with DVI.

7. ncstatered21 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not like I am even running a bunch of parts in an assembly at once. I am opening one part at a time.

EDIT: I remember I had installed version 2.1 of SW. My teacher told us to only install like 4.8 because there was issue with 5.0 but I could never figure out how to. I'm just updating all the way to 5.0 and hopefully things will work out.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

What version of SolidWorks are you running? 2011?

9. ncstatered21 thread starter macrumors regular

2010 version 2.1 and off topic but no I am not at NC State for engineering despite my username haha. I'm updating to version 5.0 tomorrow when I am on campus. Have to be connected to their network to access te server. It ran a bit better once I gOt things started with my project tonight. But still not where I would like or expect with the added ram.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

When you installed the additional memory did you modify the pagefile in Windows to correctly tune it?

You running Windows as a Bootcamp partition or via VirtualBox/Parallels/Fusion?

11. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

The pagefile should not need to be managed manually unless it was set somehow before the RAM upgrade. Under VM you would need to assign the extra RAM, but if he is under boot camp it should be automatic.

It is worth a check, though.

You may also want to just wait and see what happens. If you posted this right after installing it, Windows might be cacheing in programs and doing anything it thinks it should do with the additional RAM.

You can also go to task manager in Windows and see what is using up the resources.

R

12. ncstatered21 thread starter macrumors regular

I am running Boot camp. It has not been immeadiately after the install but it was within the past week. I may do a fresh install because I have been having issues with Windows only starting up with the power adapter plugged in (made another thread with that issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90). Because of the other issue I may be taking it to the Apple store after I do a fresh install just to see what happens.

13. thasan macrumors 6502a

Oh god. I am gonna buy a 13 inch Mbp with 8 gb ram and 256 ssd in a couple of days. Was planning to use x64 win7 and solid works.
    keep us posted if possible.
    Good luck with ur refresh, fingers crossed.

14. ncstatered21 thread starter macrumors regular

I would suspect it to run SIGNIFICANTLY better with an SSD as well. Also, I believe the installation of the new updates to SW will speed it up as well. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking the fresh install will do it.