windows 7 and hfs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xoggyux, Apr 17, 2009.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

hey guys, how can I read hfs from windows 7? have anyone figured it out yet?
    I tired macdrive but it is not compatible with windows 7 (after much trying, I got it installed under vista compatibility mode however when I restart and load it, it gives an error and does not show any partition.
    Thanks for help.

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

MacDrive is the best way. Its not free though. If you don't wish to pay, HFSExplorer is your next best option.

3. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

I got macdrive but is not compatible with windows 7.
    I am going to try hfs explorer :(

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Dual boot to Vista, of course.... surely you weren't stupid enough to install W7 as the only OS...

5. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

wow usually people wait a few post before arriving to the conclusion someone else is stupid.

1.- I am using windows 7 in a pc not in MBP atm.
    2.- If dual-boot were an option I just log into OS X directly and not in vista, I actually need to have continuous access to my HDD (external) since is my major data exchange medium between my MBP and my PC.
    3.- The reason why I got windows 7 and not Vista is because I need 64bit OS for my 8GB of ram, and my wireless G adapter does not offer vista x64 drivers :( so if I go vista I lose internet.

Any other suggestion? I am struggling with HFSExplorer, its getting the job done but reminds me so much of win98 I think I wont sleep today.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I though Windows 7 beta expired few days ago.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If by a "few days ago," you mean August, then yes.;)

9. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

So let me get this right, you are using a beta 64-bit OS just so that you can get your full 8GB of RAM working (I'm sure you use that a lot) and you're suffering from not having full software availability.

THe solution seems to be to use Vista 32-bit....

10. jackbrown macrumors newbie

ll Macintosh storage devices except floppy disks are partitioned into one or more volumes. Volumes can contain four kinds of items: files, directories, directory threads and file threads. Each item is described by a catalog record which is analogous to a Unix inode. Catalog records are organized in the on-disk catalog B-Tree.

11. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I'm having a hard time understanding your exact setup and what you're trying to accomplish.

Which wireless adapter are you using? That it is somehow driver compatible with Win7 but not Vista confuses me. I mean, this part REALLY confuses because almost all vendor specific Win7x64 drivers are essentially Vistax64 drivers.

For what else do you use your external drive? To which machine is it hooked up? Is there a reason that you can't do the KISS solution and format it to NTFS? Are you manipulating directly on the drive or are you transferring before you manipulate?

How is your home network setup?

12. greenythebeast macrumors regular

TransMac located here: http://www.asy.com/scrtm.htm is compatible with Windows 7. It's not free but I'm sure you can find it in other places :rolleyes:

13. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

MacDrive works with Windows 7. You need to modify msi version check to install.