Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lofight, Dec 13, 2007.

1. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

If i read some articles about Windows 7, it sounds really nice, but what i don't really understand is,

Microsoft has already given some info about Windows 7, even before Windows Vista was launched, and after leoapard is launched, we haven't heard anything of Mac OS X 10.6.

And what do you think will be beter? :p

2. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

If Microsoft is shifting back to a "release often" schedule, it's anyone's guess as to which will be better. They might learn from the Vista debacle. I hope they do, and I hope Windows 7 kicks the **** out of OS X 10.6.

I like Apple best when it's fighting for its life. Lately, the company's bureaucracy seems to be more interested in money than value.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is because Microsoft has historically been very forthcoming about its release plans, and Apple has historically been very secretive about future products. I personally think that, if Apple is serious about making inroads into the corporate sector, it needs to loosen up its secrecy policy a bit, and make more of its plans known, even if only to corporations that sign an agreement.

As far as which will be better goes, we won't know until both products get closer to release. I do hope that both Apple and Microsoft have learned from their mistakes with Leopard and Vista, respectively (flawed stacks implementation, anyone? And in Vista, UAC?)

4. Eluzion macrumors 6502

I think Windows 7 will actually turn out to be good. From the little bits I've read about it, it sounds pretty damn promising. If it turns out good and OS X 10.6 doesn't offer anything more than some more features like "Stacks", then I might switch back. That's *if* Windows 7 doesn't flop. ;)

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

First, let me say I think that any speculation on this subject is entirely premature.

Now, I think I have brilliant insights to offer anyway! :p
    While it is controversial to say, I think Leopard really is better than Vista in most ways. Not to say Vista isn't without any merit, it just doesn't offer as good of a user experience, and doesn't have sufficient technologies that Leopard lacks to make up for that.

I think the game is going to change down the road though. I think when Windows 7 and OSX 10.6 (or whatever the next OSes end up being) come out, the comparative strengths and weaknesses will be more pronounced, and it will be harder to say one is overall better (not that people won't do it anyway). However, while I think there will be compelling reasons to use both, Apple's next OS will be more like an Apple OS, and as such I would expect that most people who are fond of OSX will continue to prefer Apple's offerings.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

To me, Vista and Leopard are just two sides of the same coin. Both are useless, bloated versions of perfectly good operating systems - XP and Tiger. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is never a good idea, and going from XP to Vista or Tiger to Leopard is a prime example of why. Personally, I'll stick with XP and Tiger, and see what each company has to offer in the future. What will Windows 7 do? What will 10.6 do? No idea--but I'll be here with tried and true operating systems in the meantime.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Dude, wake up and smell the coffee. All companies are out for the money just as you are out for the money when you go to your job every week. Let's consider the fact that you do go to a paying job weekly, you know that you don't go to work with the attitude that you want to work hard so the company betters itself, you go there to make a paycheck.

Apple, Dell, Microsoft, Cadillac, Honda are not your friends and when a company is small and wants to make itself known it MAY seem like they are out for the consumer and want to be the consumer's friend but in the end they want YOUR MONEY. There's nothing wrong with that, they can't stay in business just being your friend. There's no point in being in business if you are not out for the money.

8. raykhrud macrumors regular

Fife, Scotland or Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    People, they mentioned Windows Mobile 7.
    Which will try to blow away iPhone.
    I hope it will.

9. psonice macrumors 6502a

Leopard is a MASSIVE upgrade over tiger. The problem with it is that most of the improvements are internal, and you don't see them (64 bit anyone? Much improved kernel? Miles better networking?). The surface changes are fairly minor, except for things like time machine (which to me makes the cost of upgrade well worth it). It puts Apple in a very good position to work on lots of 'visible' upgrades for the next version though.

Vista on the other hand, was many years late, has lots of superficial changes, but almost all of the big internal new features were dropped over the years. The next version of windows will hopefully be what was promised for vista!

Besides that, it's going to take at least another year to get vista half-way decent. I won't touch it for another year at least, I'll recommend that my company does the same, and most other sys admins are doing the same. Microsoft need to get vista running well and actually installed on desktops before worrying about vista 2. And I bet it'll be competing with 10.7 or 10.8 by the time it arrives ;)

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

HLdan, I think you've missed the point. SthrnCmfrtr isn't saying he doesn't want Apple to be successful, or that he doesn't expect them to want to make money, but Apple could use a reality check. The success of the iPod, the media interest and growing market share have brought with it greed, arrogance, and a worsening quality control.

11. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

OS X is evolutionary, which only works because it's a decent OS in the first place.

Windows stumbles from evolutionary to somewhat revolutionary, but the evolutionary aspect doesn't quite work because the OS is poorer to use from the outset.

Which is why I was disappointed with Vista. It's nice at first, visually, but the same Windows way of doing things is there and after a while it became obvious it was WindowsXP in new clothes.

They need to look at the whole navigation system from scratch for v7. The Start menu is horrible and I rarely used it.

One thing that always annoyed me about it was when you installed anything it insisted on installing by publisher and you had to change it. Who organises their machine by software company?
    :D

On Wikipedia, it says this about v7:

What? They seem to go off at a tangent and want to incorporate all sort of complicated extras rather than look at the basics of using the OS.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

OS 10.6 will likely be long gone by the time Windows 7 rolls around...and even Vista looked exciting...in that MS video of what 'Longhorn' would be like, there are even glimpses of an equivalent to Core Animation, and some of the stuff is really cool (admittedly the start menu is still there etc.). It doesn't look as good as Leopard, but it certainly would have been a worthy competitor. By the time MS implement the cool stuff from that, Core Animation will have progressed leaps and bounds :)

13. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

In that video there were some cool things, but the rest i really found awful..

14. feyn-man macrumors regular

I think maybe there will never be a macOSX 10.6

APPLE will release 11.0 directly.

15. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

Maybe, but then it should be a MAJOR big release in my opinion, and if they want to keep up the "very time a new OS is released, it's got to have more features" then maybe this could happen.

But this thread is just about the idea of a new mac OS and a new windows OS.