Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
I have a early 2011 13" base MBP and today I bought the Samsung 830 256GB SSD. Windows 7 is not my primary OS, Mountain Lion is my primary OS. I have a question regarding the AHCI driver.
1. I know that AHCI is disabled by default in last year macs and I have no intentions to do the hack to enable it. Will my Samsung 830 256 GB SSD perform decently without AHCI? and will my SSD loose its performance faster?

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
I am curious about this also. I have a mid-2007 MacBook Pro with Win7 64bit via BootCamp. The hack sounds very unreliable, so Id rather not do it. Are there any other workarounds to this?

EthosX

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2012
I am curious about this also. I have a mid-2007 MacBook Pro with Win7 64bit via BootCamp. The hack sounds very unreliable, so Id rather not do it. Are there any other workarounds to this?

Hi
I have same mac as you mid 2007 and we DEFO cant talk about AHCI mate:)
Ours systems HAS just SATA I so 1.5Gb/s

EthosX

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2012
I see. Well, does not having AHCI decrease the life of an SSD?

decrease?? no no opposite , it is enhanced controller of SATA II or SATA III by intel
When you have AHCI support in your laptop then you can instal Intel matrix storage manager software .

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
decrease?? no no opposite , it is enhanced controller of SATA II or SATA III by intel
When you have AHCI support in your laptop then you can instal Intel matrix storage manager software .

No, I mean does not having AHCI have any negative affects to the SDD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.