Windows 7 and time capsule

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MrPeanut, Feb 23, 2010.

1. MrPeanut macrumors regular

Does the time capsule work with Windows 7? I'm using genie time machine at the moment which is really good but i wanted a wireless backup solution, i mainly use windows on my mac because i use 3ds max so its really for the windows side. Am i better off buying a decent NAS drive that i know will work for windows and try and get time machine to see it using the hack to get it to work or vice versa?

Also can you upgrade the HDD in time machines?

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you want to use the Time Capsule as Time Machine, you need Mac OS X, as TM is a feature of Mac OS X and not Windows.

You may be able to upgrade the HDD yourself, but it will void the guarantee.

A cheaper, but less convenient option may be an AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS) and adding external USB HDDs yourself, and using one as Time Machine and another as a backup drive for your Windows partition.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW. I needed something more flexible and with larger storage than Time Capsule or AEBS+USB HDD, so I bought the HP MediaSmart EX490. Yes it's more expensive than the TC, but it does so much more. It is fully Time Machine compatible.

EDIT: If you want something in the same price category as Time Capsule, look at their LX models.

B