Windows 7 and XP CPU Resource useage?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Pngwyn, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

I plan on running Windows via VMWare or Parallels on my MBP and I heard that Windows 7 requires more CPU to virtualize, I am just wondering if it's true, and if so, is it significant?

I will be running the virtualization probably constantly so I want to avoid anything that might slow down OSX. I hear 7 is the best choice for Boot Camp though, so I'm torn.

Any insight would be appreciated :)

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Use XP SP3, if possible, because it runs fine with just 512 MB RAM! W7 requires at least 1 GB RAM, and runs fine with 2 GB RAM. The CPU-usage is low, in both cases: 5-15 percent on a 2.8 GHz Core2Duo, if you work just within the Windows Explorer, and < 5 percent if you do nothing within the Windows VM. VMware has optimized the VMware Tools (a collection of "invisible" drivers within the VM) for Windows, so Windows machines require only small amounts of CPU power.

3. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Well, I have 8GB of RAM so is OS even an issue? My biggest concern is the fact I'll have it running the majority of the day and I pretty much have 0 experience with Parallels and how hard it will work my machine.

I am actually leaning towards Windows 7 now since I sometimes like to Boot Camp over to play some games and the Direct X support is nice. Just want to make sure I am making the right choice >.<