Windows 7: Anyone ripping with FairUse Wizard (free)?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TJ61, Mar 1, 2013.

1. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

My workflow for ripping my DVDs to put on iDevices may be convoluted and/or inefficient as it has morphed over the years. It started with getting my DVDs onto my Palm Pilot, in which case FairUse Wizard (free version) would do the trick, and the resulting .avi could be transferred to my Palm via SD card (sigh).

Now, I'm still ripping with FU (hmmm), but using HandBrake to re-encode to h.264 and put in a .mp4 container. AFAIK, HandBrake on Win7 will not do the ripping.

So, here's some questions:
    1. FU (hmmm) looks like it has an option to encode with XVid OR h.264. I chose h.264, but still get an avi in the end. Is it really h.264, or is it XVid?
    2. If it output h.264 in an mp4 container, I'd be done, but I don't see that option in the free version. Is it in the paid version? (I'd like confirmation from somebody, as opposed to believing what the website says.)
    3. Should I be ditching FU? What's a good workflow on a Windows machine to get content in a format for iDevices?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Darby67 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend using HB in your Mac OS environment.

Otherwise use makemkv and transcode with HB.

3. TJ61 thread starter macrumors 6502a

D'oh! I had no idea makemkv had a Windows version. I tried this combo just now, and it cuts my process time AT LEAST in half! Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,
    Tom