Windows 7 auto shut down

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Jan 20, 2011.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I installed Windows 7 on my MBP 2010. I am quite satisfied with it. There is one problem. It seems that when I left the MBP running Windows 7 overnight, MBP shut itself down automatically during the night. When I woke up, the machine was turned off. There is no internet connection at home. So, Windows did not do the automatic software update and turned itself off. Anybody knows what is happening and how to solve the problem? Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hibernation is turned on by default. If your Windows 7 box stays asleep long enough it will hibernate (equivalent to Mac's safe sleep).

You can disable it, but there really is no need. Updates will be processed next time the W7 box is available for them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

B

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info. I found that when Windows did that, my iPodTouch was not charged.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Two issues

Hello. I put Windows 7 under hibernation mode. Then, I took it with me for dinner. When I came back, I could not wake the MBP by pressing any key. Then, I briefly pushed the power button and released immediately. The MBP restarted! (It seems that when I put Windows 7 under hibernation mode, the OS turned the machine off.)

Another problem is that after restart, the LCD screen became "very very" dim. I barely saw the white rectangle where I had to key in the password to login. Once logged in, I could not see the contents on the screen. Changing the brightness via F2 did not help. By pressing F11 or F12, I could hear the sound. I knew that Windows was running but the screen was too dim that I could not see anything. I ended up connecting the MBP to an external monitor, restarted and the LCD screen of the MBP became normal again.

Anybody knows how to solve these two problems? Thanks.

5. balamw, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That is the proper way to wake from hibernation.

(EDIT: from the FAQ I linked earlier:
    )

If it booted back into OS X, you need to set your default OS to Windows so that when it restarts it goes to Windows. Or hold Alt/Option when waking it up.

I haven't experienced the dimness you report for the second problem on my MB or MBP.

B

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

It booted back as if I turned off the computer and restarted. The EFI showed up and I chose Windows.

I had a ThinkPad over 10 years ago. I recalled that I could wake it up from hibernation by pressing any key. It was like sleep mode except that the state of the OS was saved before going to sleep. It was running Windows ME, I think.

How come Windows 7 turns off the laptop when the user chose hibernation? Shouldn't it just save the state of the OS and put it to sleep like ME?

I will keep an eye on the dimness problem. Thanks.