windows 7 battery life on new mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boonlar, Feb 25, 2011.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

can anyone please test battery life under windows 7?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Just install it yourself and try it out?

If you really need W7, its battery life isn't going to stop you from installing it one way or another.

I have it and works wonderfully but I've never worried about checking the battery life.

3. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

well if i get it ill be using it as a windows and linux laptop 99% of the time so thats why i want to know if its worth getting

4. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

The battery life for macbooks under windows as always been sub-par. Depends what you're doing, but don't expect to get 7 hours out of it.

5. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

i think its because there is no graphics switching on windows. theoretically the new 13" only has intel gfx so it should have good battery life under windows

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Understood, but is it still going to make any difference, ie is your decision governed by battery life or design, etc.

Let's say there's a HP that gives you 6 hours vs the Apple that gives you 4 under W7. Will that sway your decision?

I know for me and probably the majority on this forum, we would still choose the Mac every day.

7. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

has anyone tested battery life under win7 yet?

8. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

I think you are getting the wrong laptop.

9. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

there are no pc laptops as thin or with good graphics like the mbp 15. which pc laptop would be better? you cant find one

10. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

HP Envy 14

11. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

I don't know, but I would try Thinkpad.

12. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

Lmao!! that doesnt even havr sandybridge and hp consumer laptops are utter junk

13. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkpads only have crappy workstation cards and very dim lcds.

its pretty pathetic that apple makes the best pc...

14. c1phr macrumors 6502

I would say the HP Envy line for sure. Engadget has given them glowing reviews and I have seen them compared to the MBP in other reviews.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/03/hp-envy-14-review/

EDIT: It appears you care enough about graphics to shoot down the Thinkpad, you might want to look at this:

You said you were going to be using Linux on it. The 15" MBP has AMD graphics, I assume you have done no research into the driver quality of AMD graphics under an X server on Linux have you?

15. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

16. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

It's pretty pathetic that you actually think this is true

17. richlee111 macrumors regular

Agree. Right now there are no good Sandy Bridge PCs out there or coming out in the pipeline. When people ask me what is the absolute best PC laptop out there right now, I tell them it is the Apple Macbook Pros.

Sure, you have the ThinkPad T42s, the HP Envy's, and the Sony Vaio Z's. But, each of these laptops have one, maybe two, killer feature. Then, when you start to make up for a missing feature or option, your price will certainly begin to creep up to Macbook territory.

I myself was looking for a Sandy Bridge laptop for PC use. But checking specs, the Macbook made sense. I was an original Macbook and 1st gen aluminum Macbook owner. Went PC for awhile due to development needs. But, I do miss the Mac both as itself and for boot camp use. So now I am back.

So in the end if you do want a good PC laptop that can run MacOS, MacBook Pros are it. Course, this is my humble opinion:)

18. Help Please macrumors regular

I thought we were talking about graphics cards, not processors? :confused:

HP Envy 14 won Engadget Laptop of the Year, obviously they're doing something right.

19. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Pff ... I think it's a crime to switch out of this beautiful Mac OS X ...

20. c1phr macrumors 6502

Exactly what I was saying! My only argument against is that they use AMD GPU's, and the OP wanted to use Linux. Otherwise the Envy line is pretty awesome, and I've recommended them to people who need graphic power but can't afford the MBP 15".

There IS the Dell XPS line, recently refreshed with Sandy Bridge I believe. I know that just the sound of Dell makes people (including myself) cringe, but the XPS line is actually built properly as opposed to their other machines. I've been told they are built to the standards of the Dell business line (which is a very strong line of notebooks).

Then again, I have a feeling the OP isn't planning on listening to any of us.

21. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

meh all these pcs have one or two things that just suck

hp consumer stuff use cheapass motherboards, crappy trackpads

asus is great but poor keyboards and terrible trackpads

lenovo is great but very dim LCDs and bad viewing angles, also crappy GFX

dell is cheap all around and thick with poor battery life

toshiba is alright but they have nothing special announced

gateway = lol

macbook pros only have two disadvantages, poor cooling design, and high price and that makes them the best all around machine right now.

22. punchwalk macrumors regular

I don't buy the 4+ hours reported by PCMag. Seems like 3 or less for me (15" 2.2)