Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmason86

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
response to original thread

It's over a year after this original thread was started and the suggestion still works. As of today (1/8/10) Apple has still not released a specific update to Snow Leapord (or Leapord for that matter) for running Windows 7 (let alone 64 bit).
I got a legit copy of 64-bitWindows 7 Home Premium and installed it through bootcamp with no problems.

System specs: Unibody aluminium Macbook (late 2008) with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR3 Ram, 320 GB 7200RPM HD, running OSX 10.6.

When I tried to install the bootcamp drivers, I got exactly the same error as the original thread. Pretty amazing that Apple has had a full year to update bootcamp for Win7 and still hasn't. Anyway, I followed the suggestion and it worked swimmingly.

In addition, there already exists drivers for the trackpad, 2 finger scrolling, 2 finger right click, keyboard backlight, display brightness, default functional controls rather than F-keys (although you can change this), and sound. There's probably more that I'm missing but the point is that Win7 runs smoothly and great on Macbooks from late 2008 and later.

Aero, shake, show and peek desktop, snap to sides and top - all of these work.

Seems there's no real reason for Apple to be holding back on us.. their stuff already works.

proxtoyz

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
thanks a bunch for this it worked fine

i just bought a macbook with the 9400m and was trying to install a windows 7 64bit version on it and boot camp gave me this error

it is beyond me why apple try and dictate where it can be installed in such a manner but thankfully there (and always will be!) a work around

davidahn

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2004
Apple Valley, CA
Thanks!!!

In the Windows 7 Start Menu Type “cmd”, then right-click on the program that appears and choose “Run As Administrator”.

Then enter;

D:
cd "Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple"
msiexec /i BootCamp64.msi

Worked like a charm, even on the Snow Leopard Install DVD! (I'm assuming your post referred to the Leopard DVD as you posted 1/09?) You're a genius. Thanks so much!!!

David

ChaseMc

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Hi,
This is my first post on MacRumors. I was hoping to send this to jmason86 directly but it seems that you can't email people directly.

I have a macbook aluminum (late 2008). I'd like to install windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I was just wondering if anyone has since had any problems with software or drivers by installing this version of windows on this type of system.

Also, does anyone have a good link about how to go about doing a smooth install using bootcamp in my situation.

Thanks!

Octavarius

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Code 2229. Help!

I did just like davidahn said. Seemed to work until i got error. The code for it was 2229.
Anyone know what the problem is?

Ramused

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
i have the 24'' iMac core2duo 3.06, 8800 gs 512 mb, 4gb ddr2.

and have just instaled this way boot camp 3.0... its necessary update the bootcamp to 3.2 ?

thanks a lot !

FelixB

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
PLEASE HELP

I have had the same problem with windows not being able to run 64 bit version. I opened up the cmd as told, but when i typed in:
D:

I simply got the message in cmd saying "The system cannot find the path specified". I don't know how to proceed from here so please help. I ran it as administrator and i have tried like 6 times now. This might has to do with me being a windows/cmd noob, so if anyone could tell me what the problem could be please do so. I know this post is old by now but i could really use some help.

iwant2begod

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Ireland
PLEASE HELP

I have had the same problem with windows not being able to run 64 bit version. I opened up the cmd as told, but when i typed in:
D:

I simply got the message in cmd saying "The system cannot find the path specified". I don't know how to proceed from here so please help. I ran it as administrator and i have tried like 6 times now. This might has to do with me being a windows/cmd noob, so if anyone could tell me what the problem could be please do so. I know this post is old by now but i could really use some help.

Again I know this is old but I am having the same issue. Wondering did you find a answer to it??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.