windows 7 BETA on the air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TheRiseofTheFal, Jan 12, 2009.

1. TheRiseofTheFal macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

I am simply curious if it is possible to install the beta and how one would go about doing it?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The same way you install anything on the Air; use another computer's disk drive.

3. TheRiseofTheFal thread starter macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

do you mean that I would need to burn a copy to disk and then go back and install it on the air, by using boot camp? or do i need to make a separate partition and install it directly to the computer

NOTE: I have the superdrive so I could utilize that

4. Doju macrumors 68000

Use the superdrive then? It's just like an optical drive, but not built in.

What Skil meant was that you put the CD on another computer, and use the MBA's reader function to install it wirelessly over the MBA from the other computer.

5. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

I am sure you could also use a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA adapter and use any desktop drive as long as its connected via USB you should be fine! :)
    I heard you can install from a pen drive not sure on a mac tho

6. TheRiseofTheFal thread starter macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

I guess I should clarify, I am specifically talking about the beta right now that needs to be downloaded I should've been more clear about that, I was curious does it need to be put on a disk or can I download the ISO directly and go from there?

7. kloan macrumors regular

If you want to install it using Bootcamp to it's own partition, you need to burn the ISO.

8. MorningZ macrumors newbie

MorningZ

I took the gamble.... and installed 7 on my Air with Bootcamp and my Superdrive

Install was smooth, and everything runs fine (although i've only surfed the web and installed/ran anti-virus on it to this point), except i have no sound.... Device Manager shows as everything as OK, but still not a peep....

9. kloan macrumors regular

Did you install the drivers from the Leopard disc?

10. MorningZ macrumors newbie

MorningZ

Indeed i did.....

There was a manual step needed, one i found on this thread on Apple's forums....

Used winrar to extract that "RealTekSetup.exe" file, and then went into Device Manager, expanded the Audio and chose "Update driver", pointing it to the extracted Vista folder, and voila... sound, glorius sound....

Windows 7 runs great when booted directly into..... and Aero worked right out of the box (i've seen tons of talk here and there saying they have issues)

Just for kicks, I loaded Fusion in OSX and it picked up the Bootcamp partition and ran Unity... i wouldn't necessarily call it "blazing" fast, but it at least works in a pinch :)

11. kloan macrumors regular

cool..

i downloaded the ISO tonight... gonna give it a whirl tomorrow

12. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I found Windows 7 to be a Ram/Resource hog and still has a ways to go if its ever going to be anything special on potables like the Air. I installed a copy in VMware and it runs horrible. (Needs at least 1-1.5 GB of Ram) Bootcamp was much better, but its just the same old pig in another blanket.

I hope they optimize it more before release.

13. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

anyone found that the sm bus controller and compresser have not been installed when using the boot camp drivers?!

:) thanks

14. smar macrumors newbie

Works well through Parallels 4

I've installed it through Parallels and it seems to work fine. Performance wise, it is on a par with my XP install on Parallels, if not slightly snappier. Not bad considering that Windows 7 is only a beta 1, and that Parallels support for Windows 7 is also 'experimental' at this stage.

(I am running on a Rev B, 1.86 with SSD).

15. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Yeah, SM bus and coprocessor does not install automatically with boot camp. I had to opened the NVIDIA folder on the Boot Camp CD and install it. If you have Rev A, go to the intel folder.

16. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

nice1!:)

17. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

How would I approach installing Windows 7 if I already have a Bootcamp XP install? Is triple boot a possibility?

18. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I don't have 7 triple booted in particular, but when I had xp and vista on a triple boot, just manually add a partition in the disk utility, and install. The GUID table should allow you to add and resize your partitions on the fly; all the intitial bootcamp interface is is an automated resizing process.