Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trevaaaaaaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Hi all,
Got a 2011 mac mini with Intel HD 3000 graphics,
I installed Windows 7 with bootcamp without any problems.
Booted up fine, but with low res graphics as standard drivers were installed.
Ran the Windows Support Tools that bootcamp had downloaded, it installed fine, rebooted, there is video output...untill the windows 7 welcome screen sound...then no video output!
I am connected via HDMI to an LED tv.
I can boot via safe mode and it's fine, so obvious a driver issue, I have seen similar problems on here, but a lot of those have been while installing.
Any ideas greatly appreciated

Update:
Tried removing all trace of driver, then installed latest one direct from intel...but problem still exists.
Not sure what to try next

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Any chance you had it hooked up to an external display?

I had something like this happen on a Dell. The internal display couldn't handle the resolution I had set for the primary external display and it just looked like it hung, but was trying to use the external display.

Just a thought.

B

Trevaaaaaaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012

I had something like this happen on a Dell. The internal display couldn't handle the resolution I had set for the primary external display and it just looked like it hung, but was trying to use the external display.

Just a thought.

B

I haven't selected it as an external display, unless it's done it automatically and i only have one display an led tv) connected via hdmi.

I can't see anything so can't change settings, is there a keyboard shortcut (like laptops have) to make sure primary display is selected?

Thanks for reply

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I haven't selected it as an external display, unless it's done it automatically and i only have one display an led tv) connected via hdmi.

Ah yes, didn't catch it was a mini earlier.

I'd try booting it without the display connected and see if it can figure it out on the next reboot.

B

Trevaaaaaaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012

Just a thought.

B

Thanks balamw for pointing me in the right direction, looks like being a problem with the Bush TV I am connecting to.

I installed Tight VNC so that I could see what Windows was doing as the display was blank, it was showing an 'unable to connect to projector' error message, I tried cycling the Win + P hotkey but still nothing, I went in to display properties to try and get it to detect it, but it wouldn't, just keeps saying no primary display.

Took the mini upstairs and plugged in to a sony bravia...boom worked straight away at full HD res.

I would like to try and get it working with the Bush, so if anyone has some ideas that would be great, and it does work fine when booting to OSX.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Does the Bravia have a non-HDMI port that you could connect the Mini to?. If so you might be able to make some headway by connecting the mini to both TVs (would require moving one obviously) and see if that helps you debug it.

What does it do in OS X with the Bush?

B

Trevaaaaaaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Does the Bravia have a non-HDMI port that you could connect the Mini to?. If so you might be able to make some headway by connecting the mini to both TVs (would require moving one obviously) and see if that helps you debug it.

What does it do in OS X with the Bush?

B

The bravia has a vga port, but the mini only came with hdmi > dvi connector & i haven't got anything else to convert it.

The Bush works fine in OSX using the same hdmi port connection as used in bootcamp...strange!

bhinfo123

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Window Displays for Estate Agents

Our High Brightness TFT LCD Monitors are designed to operated in high ambient light conditions. At 700 nits to 1850 nits of brightness, High Bright Sunlight Readable Screens for your Estate Agent.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
Having experience with the HD3000 in non-mac capacities and the same issues - try this:

You'll need to go find the Intel threads where people are complaining about these drivers. The threads you are looking for are the ones that actual intel support interact with. Most of the people experiencing problems usually gravitated toward specific driver releases that worked for them and the intel folks are posting all the different versions of the drivers that people are trying and finally finding one that works.

I eventually moved to a dedicated GPU just to get away from the problem on my PC, but I finally found a driver that worked (at least for a whole lol).

But you'll have to get 3 or 4 releases, install one - if it's black, go back into safe mode, remove it, try another one, restart - repeat until you find one that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.