Windows 7 Boot Camp Error

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sheppy1, Aug 15, 2010.

1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hi guys, need a little help here. So I want dual boot Windows 7 with my already installed Snow Leopard on my Macbook Air, I'm using an external DVD drive, I start the Boot Camp setup, follow the instructions, create my partition and then it asks me to insert my copy of Windows, I insert my legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and after about 15 seconds an error message pops up that says "The installer disc could not be found", the disc doesn't have a scratch on it and I installed Windows 7 on my desktop Windows PC about 10 months back using this exact same disc so I know it works. Strange thing is, is that when I insert my copy of XP instead of Windows 7, it recognizes it right away and then installs just fine, I don't want XP though, I want Windows 7, anyone have any input regarding this matter or know what the problem is? Thanks

2. mmulin macrumors 6502

Boot Camp Utility sometimes is thrown off and you don't need to start the install process from there necessarily. Try this:
    1. Quit Boot Camp Utility (I think there is an option to say "later")
    2. Restart your MBA with the DVD in the drive and hold down the "Alt" key
    3. Choose the DVD to boot from in the boot loader screen

If the DVD also doesn't show up there, check if it will be recognised on another PC.. try booting from it there. 10 month is a long time to say "it worked"

3. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Ok I'll give that a blast when I get back home later then, thanks for the help. The Windows 7 disc is fine btw, I tried it on my PC and that boots into it right away, will try your suggestion later tonight though

4. robeddie macrumors 68000

robeddie

For future referenece, here's what I suggest:

With any install disk like that (or ANY important disc for that matter) I always make a backup copy of the disc when I first get it.

You can do it on the Mac side, just put in the windows 7 disc and make a disc image of it in Toast. Then months (or years later) if you want to reinstall the os, and you can't find the disc or it's scratched, you can just burn a new dvd from the toast image.

Obviously what you'll probably also want to do is create a text file with the serial number and put it in a folder along with the toast image.

This procedure has saved my butt a few times!

Honestly, with 1 tb drives becoming the norm, backing up a few 5 gig DVD's doesn't take up much space - especially when compared to the headaches it can avoid.

5. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I will actually do this now as I have a few important peices of software I'd like to backup, my Windows 7 disc is actually in mint condition though, not a mark or scratch on it as it's been in the CD wallet since I bought it and it's been in a place and not moved since I first installed it but I will definitely back it up anyway as you never know

6. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Rebooting with the disc in the drive and holding "Alt" worked anyway, Windows 7 is installing as I type this so thanks for that :)