Windows 7 Boot Camp..Glitch?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by oojosheoo, Jun 25, 2009.

1. oojosheoo macrumors member

Hey you guys I want you guys to try something. Becuase I want to see if this is just my Mac or if it really is some sort of glitch.

First log on to OS X (I have 10.5.7). Then mute your sound. On my unibody Macbook Pro I pressed f10.

Now reboot and hold option to logon to Windows 7. You wont here the Windows chime becuase the sound is muted, makes sence.

Finally hit f10 or unmute your sound. Do you guys here anything? For me I couldnt find a way to get sound back from Windows. I would have reboot to OS X unmute and then reboot back to Windows 7. Kinda annoying.

What do you guys think?

2. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

No one is having this problem?

hmm maybe it is just my mac. :confused:

3. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Have you been pressing the FN key while pressing the "function" keys?

Hold FN then press the unmute button it will unmute the sound in windows

4. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

Yeh that I know.

When windows 7 is muted you can see a red "x" on the volume icon. But if I unmute it manually by clicking the icon there still no sound. Unless I unmute the sound first in OS X. I just thought this was weird.

Thanks for the reply

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I tested mine with identical results. It's only if you use the mute button in Leopard, I always turn the volume down to zero which windows has no problem with. It's very likely either a bootcamp driver or an EFI issue - maybe worth reporting to Apple.

6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Does your sound work out all when you're in Windows 7?

7. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

With the latest drivers from Bootcamp 2.1 (or in my case 3.0 beta) installed in Compatibility mode for Vista they work perfectly.

8. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

I knew i wasn't the only one. :D

Thanks Gav Mack for trying it out. I guess we'll just have to wait for apple to fix the problem.

9. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

No problem, but I don't think it's a big enough problem for Apple to sort out when turning the volume down to zero works fine. I'd much rather they spend their time sorting out their windows drivers and utilities to a standard worthy of a premium notebook supplier instead of the bargain basement we've had so far :D

10. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

Well said. I totally agree.