Windows 7/Boot Camp SSD Sata 3/6gb/s install problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kraznet, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Kraznet macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I just registered to this forum having bought a MacBook Pro 17" on Friday. The aim was to upgrade the stock 5400 rpm drive with 120 GB SSD SATA 3 drive. This was easier said than done. I installed a brand-new Corsair Force Series 3 and that drive was not even recognised by the disk utilities. So I gave up on that one. I then tried an OCZ Vertex 3 and that was recognised immediately. I managed to install Snow Leopard no problems. The problem came when I tried to install Windows 7 using Boot Camp. 12 hours later I still hadn't managed after numerous attempts. The various problems included Windows 7 unable to format the drive. Also when I did manage to install Windows 7 it never quite completed the install or would freeze on the starting Windows screen. I managed to get into the Windows 7 installation a couple of times but then the whole shebang would freeze when I tried to install the Boot Camp drivers. Upon rebooting I would not be able to boot back into the Windows partition again. I was rapidly losing the will to live. So I gave up on the OCZ SSD drive as well.

This morning as a last resort I installed an older Corsair Force Series 2 SSD 60 GB drive as an experiment. It was recognised immediately by the disk utilities unlike the Series 3 version and I managed to install Snow Leopard and Windows 7 via Boot Camp with zero problems. So it all up and running. Obviously the hard drive is much smaller than I wanted. But it proves one thing and that is that support of SSD SATA 3 drives in the MacBook Pro 17" version is flaky to say the least and on the tests I did using two of these drives it was impossible to install Windows 7 using Boot Camp.

If anyone else has experienced similar problems I'll be interested to hear.

Regards
    Kraznet

2. TheArgonaut macrumors newbie

I'm having problems with Boot Camp and my SSD as well. Vertex 2 OCZ. Black screen after reboot to win disc if I try to use the DVD. If I use the USB flash drive method I get an error right at the last step of install about can't find system partition blah blah blah. Very frustrating.

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

You are right, SATA 3 SSD support is a bit of hit and miss on the 17". OWC sell a cable shielded thats meant to help, but sometimes even that doesn't solve it.
    Most of what I heard it was only performance caps...or maybe I'm just having a moment.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

This.