Windows 7 Bootable USB not being recognized on startup

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by acoustics86, Nov 12, 2013.

1. acoustics86 macrumors newbie

I have looked through similar issues on this site and through Googling but haven't found a solution. I have gotten this far solving a lot of issues so far, but now I am stuck, so PLEASE help!

I've upgraded to Mavericks and want to boot up from a USB that I have put Windows 7 on using Boot Camp Assistant. I was able to edit the info.plist file and grant admin through terminal to give the option in Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on a USB drive.

Upon restarting and holding down option, there is no bootable USB drive noticed. So after googling I installed the refit utility as it was supposed to fix this issue. After rebooting 3 times (as I have read in an article to reboot twice and it will show) I still do not see the USB drive to boot from.

Side note with the partition I have setup. Using Disk Utility I have partitioned 900GB for my Mac and partitioned 100GB for Windows in MS-DOS Fat format. I have read it should be NTFS but I don't see that option there. When using Boot Camp I haven't seen the option to partition the drive for Mac and Windows like is shown here.

Do I need to re-partition my 1TB drive to Journaled Mac and than hopefully when using Bootcamp it will ask to me to partition there or will the partition I setup through Disk Utility work? I hope this setup works because I don't want to reformat the drive but if I have to I will.

Also, just to inform I am using a Macbook Pro 2011 model with SuperDrive. I have read that Apple wants you to boot from DVD for those with drives and from USB for those without them, but is it possible to make a bootable USB drive that is recognized upon startup or do I HAVE to install Windows 7 from the DVD drive?

Thanks for any help ahead of time.

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

What Mac do you have? Can it boot from a USB drive?

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Did you actually read the entirety of the OP?

And to answer the OP's question, you are supposed to use a DVD to install Windows on a 2011 and later Mac that has the SuperDrive. People have found a workaround that requires VMWare Fusion, but I found it to be too much of a hassle, personally. I just install off the DVD.

4. Quackers, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

Quackers macrumors 6502a

Yes I did, hence the question I asked the OP. I don't know if a "Macbook Pro 2011 model with SuperDrive" can boot from a USB.
    Obviously your "answer" to the OP's question is the point I was making.
    Have a nice day and if I may be so bold, lose the attitude.