Windows 7, Bootcamp and VMWare Fusion 3

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
I bootcamped Windows 7 Professional on my Mac Pro, on a separate hard drive.

I installed VMWare Fusion 3 on Snow Leopard to access the bootcamped Windows 7 and now it prompts me, daily, to activate Windows. It says I have 14 days left.

If I boot into Windows, it says it is already activated. If I try to activate it in Fusion, using the same key, as expected it tells me that the key is already in use.

1.) Does anyone know a way around this? If I lose access to 7 in Fusion, I'm screwed, as I need access to both OS simultaneously.
2.) Do you think this has to do with the fact that I installed Windows 7 on a separate hard drive (**explanation below)?

I noticed that if you install Windows/Bootcamp on a separate drive, VMWare Fusion loses track of it after you reboot the physical machine. If you keep rebooting it, it'll eventually find the bootcamp drive/partition again.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I bootcamped Windows 7 Professional on my Mac Pro, on a separate hard drive.

I installed VMWare Fusion 3 on Snow Leopard to access the bootcamped Windows 7 and now it prompts me, daily, to activate Windows. It says I have 14 days left.

If I boot into Windows, it says it is already activated. If I try to activate it in Fusion, using the same key, as expected it tells me that the key is already in use.

1.) Does anyone know a way around this? If I lose access to 7 in Fusion, I'm screwed, as I need access to both OS simultaneously.
2.) Do you think this has to do with the fact that I installed Windows 7 on a separate hard drive (**explanation below)?

I noticed that if you install Windows/Bootcamp on a separate drive, VMWare Fusion loses track of it after you reboot the physical machine. If you keep rebooting it, it'll eventually find the bootcamp drive/partition again.

Use the option to call and activate by phone, and activate while inside VMWare Fusion. Its a very quick process. Just make sure when asked you say its only installed on 1 PC, don't mention Boot Camp/Mac/Fusion.

After that's done, VMWare should save your activation and properly switch between its activation and Boot Camps(hopefully).

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I am having the same issue with a Windows 7 copy and Fusion 3.0.

Why not tell the activation person that it is one machine with a partition and a VM? Does Microsoft expect you to license two copies in this scenario?

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
Thanks Quad5Ny. That worked!

Robanga, activate over the phone like Quad recommended. It's a pretty painless automated service.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I am having the same issue with a Windows 7 copy and Fusion 3.0.

Why not tell the activation person that it is one machine with a partition and a VM? Does Microsoft expect you to license two copies in this scenario?
Yes, ordinarily you are supposed to have a license for each physical and virtual version of windows. However I don't think ms really anticipated both physical and virtual sharing the same physical space.

Cheers,

lawjef

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
And vice versa?

I am trying to do the opposite i.e. I have Win7 running on VMWare and want to use Win7 on Bootcamp. Does anyone know how I deal with that registration issue? I can't seem to access the installed version of Win7 on my VMWare partition during the Bootcamp installation process. Thanks.

I'm hoping that Bootcamp might run faster than VMWare 3.0 because I don't need to access my Mac programs while running my PC applications. Might be a fool's errand.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I am trying to do the opposite i.e. I have Win7 running on VMWare and want to use Win7 on Bootcamp. Does anyone know how I deal with that registration issue? I can't seem to access the installed version of Win7 on my VMWare partition during the Bootcamp installation process. Thanks.

I'm hoping that Bootcamp might run faster than VMWare 3.0 because I don't need to access my Mac programs while running my PC applications. Might be a fool's errand.
Why not have one install of Windows 7 on Boot Camp and link VMWare Fusion to use it whenever you're in the Mac side?

Boot Camp is "Dual Booting". VMWare Fusion is a virtual machine. No matter what, Boot Camp will be faster but the downside is it requires a restart.

lawjef

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Why not have one install of Windows 7 on Boot Camp and link VMWare Fusion to use it whenever you're in the Mac side?

Boot Camp is "Dual Booting". VMWare Fusion is a virtual machine. No matter what, Boot Camp will be faster but the downside is it requires a restart.
Thanks, Ayeying - I have already installed Win7 on my VMWare partition. The problem now is that I cannot access that VMWare installation of Win7 when trying to install Bootcamp. I cannot reinstall the same Win7 licence a second time on the same computer (as far as I can tell). Agree with you on Dual Booting and don't mind the restart.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I cannot reinstall the same Win7 licence a second time on the same computer (as far as I can tell).
More details!

Which W7 edition and version (OEM, retail, retail upgrade, 32/64 bit).

What is stopping you from reinstalling? Error? Activation?

B

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but VMware can turn a (bootcamped)physical installation of an OS into a virtual machine. It can't turn a virtual machine into a physical installation.
Almost.

Both VMWare and Parallels can either boot from (i.e. share with Boot Camp) or import existing Boot Camp partitions to a new VM (this is called P2V physical to virtual conversion).

Going from a virtual only install to a physical install (i.e. V2P) is not directly enabled or supported, but there are guides and third party tools to at least try it. http://www.vmware.com/support/v2p/

B

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
Almost.

Both VMWare and Parallels can either boot from (i.e. share with Boot Camp) or import existing Boot Camp partitions to a new VM (this is called P2V physical to virtual conversion).

Going from a virtual only install to a physical install (i.e. V2P) is not directly enabled or supported, but there are guides and third party tools to at least try it. http://www.vmware.com/support/v2p/

B
I see. Thanks for the info. I'll remove my last post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.