Windows 7, Bootcamp and VMWare Fusion 3

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jb60606, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I bootcamped Windows 7 Professional on my Mac Pro, on a separate hard drive.

I installed VMWare Fusion 3 on Snow Leopard to access the bootcamped Windows 7 and now it prompts me, daily, to activate Windows. It says I have 14 days left.

If I boot into Windows, it says it is already activated. If I try to activate it in Fusion, using the same key, as expected it tells me that the key is already in use.

1.) Does anyone know a way around this? If I lose access to 7 in Fusion, I'm screwed, as I need access to both OS simultaneously.
    2.) Do you think this has to do with the fact that I installed Windows 7 on a separate hard drive (**explanation below)?

I noticed that if you install Windows/Bootcamp on a separate drive, VMWare Fusion loses track of it after you reboot the physical machine. If you keep rebooting it, it'll eventually find the bootcamp drive/partition again.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Use the option to call and activate by phone, and activate while inside VMWare Fusion. Its a very quick process. Just make sure when asked you say its only installed on 1 PC, don't mention Boot Camp/Mac/Fusion.

After that's done, VMWare should save your activation and properly switch between its activation and Boot Camps(hopefully).

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I am having the same issue with a Windows 7 copy and Fusion 3.0.

Why not tell the activation person that it is one machine with a partition and a VM? Does Microsoft expect you to license two copies in this scenario?

4. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Quad5Ny. That worked!

Robanga, activate over the phone like Quad recommended. It's a pretty painless automated service.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yes, ordinarily you are supposed to have a license for each physical and virtual version of windows. However I don't think ms really anticipated both physical and virtual sharing the same physical space.

Cheers,

6. lawjef macrumors newbie

And vice versa?

I am trying to do the opposite i.e. I have Win7 running on VMWare and want to use Win7 on Bootcamp. Does anyone know how I deal with that registration issue? I can't seem to access the installed version of Win7 on my VMWare partition during the Bootcamp installation process. Thanks.

I'm hoping that Bootcamp might run faster than VMWare 3.0 because I don't need to access my Mac programs while running my PC applications. Might be a fool's errand.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Why not have one install of Windows 7 on Boot Camp and link VMWare Fusion to use it whenever you're in the Mac side?

Boot Camp is "Dual Booting". VMWare Fusion is a virtual machine. No matter what, Boot Camp will be faster but the downside is it requires a restart.

8. lawjef macrumors newbie

Thanks, Ayeying - I have already installed Win7 on my VMWare partition. The problem now is that I cannot access that VMWare installation of Win7 when trying to install Bootcamp. I cannot reinstall the same Win7 licence a second time on the same computer (as far as I can tell). Agree with you on Dual Booting and don't mind the restart.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

More details!

Which W7 edition and version (OEM, retail, retail upgrade, 32/64 bit).

What is stopping you from reinstalling? Error? Activation?

B

10. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Almost.

Both VMWare and Parallels can either boot from (i.e. share with Boot Camp) or import existing Boot Camp partitions to a new VM (this is called P2V physical to virtual conversion).

Going from a virtual only install to a physical install (i.e. V2P) is not directly enabled or supported, but there are guides and third party tools to at least try it. http://www.vmware.com/support/v2p/

B

12. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see. Thanks for the info. I'll remove my last post