Windows 7 Bootcamp Crash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by niZmo, Dec 30, 2008.

1. niZmo macrumors newbie

I am trying to install windows 7 build 7000 in bootcamp on a MacPro. It installs, but on the windows first boot it crashes to a blue screen and shuts down. When i go to use the bootcamp assistant I insert the disk and my computer shuts down and the light blinks.

2. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

Mine doesn't crash, but my install is useless because the mouse and keyboard don't work.

3. UA412 macrumors member

Did you install the drivers with your leopard CD? It worked for me.

4. clebio macrumors newbie

Same experience on an iMac

I have the same experience trying to install Windows 7 beta (build 7000) 32 bit on an iMac (white, 24"). Installation works fine, but system blue screens (crashes) on first boot every time. Have not been able to get past first boot using 32 bit.

Everything installs and runs perfectly using the 64 bit build (build 7000 also), which is nice, but Zone Alarm and some other software is not available for 64 bit, so I would love to hear of a solution to the 32-bit version crashing.

5. tedex macrumors newbie

iMac/bootcamp/Win7

I have the same problem with the 24" white iMac, trying to install 32 bit Win7

The only mildly successful install was with Parallels and a "new" virtual machine. Even then, the display and network drivers would not work in bridge or shared mode, so it's stuck on basic theme and no network, and it won't come back from full screen, and in Coherence mode, you only get the Win7 desktop, and can't ctrl-command back out.

When I tried to do an upgrade from a Vista virtual, it got the BSOD on the first boot after the installation, where it wants to Finish Setup. I tried Safe Mode, and got the message that it can't Finish Setup in Safe Mode. I tried to boot in low-res mode, no dice, blue screen, then it automatically rolled back on next boot.

I then tried to upgrade a bootcamped Vista Ultimate partition and got the BSOD with an error description that appeared to be display driver related, again on the first boot after the install, where it want to Finish Setup. I let it roll back, and backed up the Vista, then deleted the bootcamp partition and made a fresh full install, and the same results.

It is impossible to try and load the bootcamp drivers, because it can't get past the Finish Setup boot.

The weird part is that on installation, the display starts out in low-res, then eventually at some point switches to full 1900 x 1200 mode and does OK for the rest of the installation sequence, only to crash on the next boot.

6. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

You don't need bootcamp. You just boot to the dvd, load the intel 5400 chipset drivers from the intel website (select all of them in the list and it takes several minutes to load them all) and then it installs fine and all hardware works. You need to be sure the chipset drivers are unpacked and on an accessible drive when you boot to the dvd. I even now have a dual boot Vista/Win7 selection screen when I boot into my windows ntfs partition. I used the 64 bit version of Win7. Windows update picks up the correct vid card drivers after installation.

7. tedex macrumors newbie

no boot on Win7 64 bit installer

So, I decided to try with Win7 64 bit, and on the boot to the installer disk, i get a message to select cd-rom boot mode, 1 or 2, but they are blank and there's no mouse or keyboard control.

8. clebio macrumors newbie

This post explains it. You'll need a Windows installtion in virtualization and a bunch of free disk space to do it. Otherwise, I've seen posts saying that you can copy the Win7 files from the ISO to a partition and install from that partition. Try googling "select CD-ROM boot type".

9. tedex macrumors newbie

Did you ever find a solution to getting past the video driver issue or whatever it is keeping us from completing the 32 bit install?

I tried doing a repair then loading drivers from the bootcamp disk set, but no go.

10. tedex macrumors newbie

Current failures

Made a new Win7 x64 installation disc, it worked, but no audio, bluetooth or isight. Both wireless and ethernet worked fine, and display fine. No dirvers would load from the bootcamp disk.

wiped that..

tried installing 32 bit again, this time with all the pertinent bootcamp drivers unpacked on a usb drive, tried repair computer, load drivers, could select proper Nvidia 7600GT drivers but they failed to install. Tried all the others too, failed failed failed.

There is just something inherently wrong when the 64 bit ver will install fine, but the 32 will not.

11. tedex macrumors newbie

Success with white 24", Win7 32bit

OK, getting rid of the Windows:system32:drivers: nvlddmkm.sys (just rename it if you want, to nvlddmkm.sys.old)

Use Barts or some other Knoppix, etc. to get into there. I actually had vista on another partition and just jumped over to the 7 install to do it.

Grab your MacOS install DVD and insert. When it pops up asking to run setup ignore that and jump into regedit. The solution offered elsewhere in the forum worked well for me which was:

Change
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    from 6.1 to 6.0

exit, click on the run setup option and allow BootCamp to install. Reboot and either download the 2.1 update to bootcamp beforehand or allow it to update. Let it do it's thing.

Last thing is to run windows update, under optional install there should be an nVidia update, install it...

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Why do you insist on using bootcamp instead of the intel chipset drivers and vid drivers directly etc?

13. tedex macrumors newbie

Crashed drivers

First of all, it has already been stated that the 64 bit version vid drivers work fine. The sound and bluetooth don't. 64 bit is not where I want to go with it.

the 32 bit version sound and vid drivers don't work, whether Bootcamp or Nvidia, Sigmatel(Realtek).

This is on a iMac white 24", 2.33Ghz Intel T7600 3 gigs RAM, Nvidia 7600 GT, 700 GB HD. It runs Vista Ultimate flawlessly.

14. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I didn't want to go 64 either, but since I was on the mac pro I thopught it would be better and the 64 bit version handles 32 bit much better than vista 64. It may be worth trying for you.

15. tedex macrumors newbie

native drivers

I took your advice and looked up the native Intel chipset drivers. Just for reference, the 24" white iMac w 2.33GHZ T7600 lives on an Intel i945 GM/PM Calistoga chipset. I found the drivers from Intel for that, installed them using Vista compatibility mode and administrator and the sound started working. Still working with the video issue. It seems to work OK for a long time, then arbitrarily will BSOD, but then it recovers itself by doing a repair on next boot. If the screen issue continues, I may do a fresh install to 64 bit and try it again with the Intel drivers.

16. charlesdem macrumors newbie

xgman -

I'm trying to do what you suggest and bag the Bootcamp drivers. I installed Windows 7 32bit as a dual boot with WinXP and installed the bootcamp 2.1 drivers. It gave me a warning that there were incompatibilities but I didn't know I had a choice.

So, how can I revert to non-bootcamp? Just uninstall the bootcamp drivers and let Microsoft find everything again? I do get random BSOD, so I need to resolve this. I also did the MS update and installed option video drivers, etc. To no avail.

Where do I find the Intel 5400 chipset drivers. I look everywhere on their site.

thanks in advance for your help with this!!!

Charles.

17. WhatLukeSaid macrumors newbie

no reason to use build 7000. Use RC 7100.

7000 seems so old now ;)

18. elvineet macrumors member

I am experiencing this exact situation while trying to install Windows 7 on a 24" iMac (Late 2006 - MA456LL). Has anyone else found a fix for this?

19. kwang0429 macrumors newbie

all you need to do is go into the safe mode ( press F8 before the loading screen appears ) , click on the windows button, and on the search programs and files field type in "msconfig" to go into the System Configuration and under Startup, you want to uncheck both Boot Camp, after that's done, click on OK to apply than boot regularly, after my research, I found out that bootcamp crashes windows 7 after login 80% of the time. after you do this, you just won't have the MAC function key working from F1 to F9, but everything else shuold be working.

20. Alv macrumors newbie

Same Problem

Hello guys!

I'm from Germany and I have the same problem with my iMac (24" Late 06):
    • Mac OS X 10.6.2
    • 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • 2.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I've tried to install the 32-Bit Version of Windows 7 with Bootcamp but the installation failed and failed and failed. Is there now a solution or an installation guide especially for iMacs from 2006? Because I read about some iMac-Users who actually can run Windows 7 on their iMacs and I'm asking why does it not work on my machine? Please help me!

Greets from germany :)