Windows 7 bootcamp gaming performances

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Phira, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Phira macrumors newbie

Hi, I have installed windows 7 on my unibody macbook which has a limited processor of 2,0 GHz and 4Gb of RAM.
    I've already run several games on it but they were quite old and I am considering buying a quite recent game (The Old Republic) and was wondering if my windows partition had the same processing specs as given or if they were slightly reduced because my specs are more or less just a the limit of what they recommend for this game.

Many thanks,
    Phira

2. foiden macrumors 6502a

In general, when you go to Bootcamp, you are basically running your Mac precisely as a Windows machine with the exact same specs. That is, your performance should match but not be reduced in any way.

From my experience, it's almost never reduced from recommended specs. It usually either behaves as expected or better than expected due to how well the various pieces of hardware speak to each other. A lot of PCs are built with various bottlenecks to nice hardware, and the recommended specs are often geared to that assumption. The Macs I used generally often seem to run as if some optimal hardware was chosen to work with each other, given the specs it has. Also, don't forget that The Old Republic is one of those MMOs with generous requirements and has plenty of settings to run on older hardware. More or less, if you have a machine that isn't that old, you should find some settings that will run quite nicely.

Take note, you may want to note what graphics chip your machine is using. Makes a big difference. You may have a 2.0 GHZ machine (is it a Core 2 Duo or an i5?), but even integrated chips have some major differences in performance. For instance, a 9400M absolutely buries an X3100 for game performance. While the 320M practically doubles performance over the 9400M. The capabilities of said chips are also different, and some have hidden max specs because they can increase their ram usage over spec. Good example is the 320M. It says it takes up to 256MB of graphics memory, but particularly with 4GB ram in your system, it can often run software that requires double that. Needless to say, these considerations are what you should make as you decide on what settings to use.

3. Phira thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok great thanks for that answer mine is a core 2 duo with a 9400M integrated chip so i guess i should be fine, worse comes to worse i'll downgrade the graphics on the game i'm not that fussed.

Thanks again,
    Phira

4. beerijuana macrumors newbie

beerijuana

I've got SWTOR running on a late '09 Macbook, 2.6ghz, 4gb, 250g. It's a bit laggy with the 9400M, but it works.

When you partition for Windows 7 in Bootcamp, give yourself at least 60-80 gigs, Win 7 and SWTOR both are very bloaty, 35+ gigs worth here.