Windows 7 Bootcamp on rMBP, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachnelson, Feb 19, 2013.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I've installed Windows 7 on my rMBP, and I'm having a resolution problem.

I can set it to the full native resolution (2880x1800), but everything is extremely tiny. I can put the DPI up to 200% but some UI elements like Chrome and other programs don't scale up properly.

I'd like to put it down to half of full native (1440x900), but that's not even an option?! And, anything under 2880x1800 doesn't scale to fit the screen, see picture: http://imgur.com/GwasAIv

How can I fix this?

2. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

Have you installed all the drivers for it?

Have you run Windows/Microsoft Update under Windows 7?

3. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes and No. I suppose I can run the update.

4. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

If you're using the stock Nvidia drivers you'll have to first set it up as a custom resolution via the Nvidia Control Panel:

1. Right Click on the Desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel
    2. Under the Display-->Change Resolution menu item press the Customize button
    3. Click on the Create Custom Resolution Button
    4. Accept the disclaimer, then in the next box set the resolution accordingly. (be careful here)

It 1440x900 @60Hz should then show up as a resolution on the regular Windows dialog boxes after you do this for the first time.

Personally I've found 1680x1050 at 125 dpi is a bit better, but YMMV. In both cases there will be a degree of softness compared to native res.

As for your pic, I have no idea what's going on there. Maybe you connected an external display previously? Try booting into Windows without anything attached to the Mac. Just a shot in the dark.

5. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is booted with nothing, that is what is displayed when the resolution is less than 2880x1800 for example when I've got it at 1680x1050, it doesn't scale to the whole screen.

----------

Yeah so I made a custom 1440x900 and when I set it to that, it makes it exactly 1/2 of the screen in use just like my picture above. It doesn't scale to the edges.

----------

Got it! For anyone reading, there is a setting in that nvidia panel for scaling to screen. Mine was set to no scaling for default. Now it is bueno!

6. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan