Windows 7 - Bootcamp or Nvidia drivers? Also, if i have windows installed through boo

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by El Burro, Sep 12, 2009.

1. El Burro macrumors regular

El Burro

...bootcamp, do I have to create anohter partition to use Fusion/Parallels or will Fusions/Parallels use the Windows 7 Bootcamp partition to do everything it needs to do?

And with regards to the snow leopard bootcamp 3.0 nvidia 256 MB 9400m (for 13.3" macbook pro aluminum unibody) drivers --- should I stick with the bootcamp 3.0 drivers or should I update to the nvidia ones? Which ones are better/improve gaming?

Also, s there any word yet on the oversensitivity issues on the trackpad in Windows 7, and the reason/purpose for the red light that is always on in the audio out?

Finally, is there any way I can read/write files that are in OS X (which uses HFS I believe) from Windows 7 and vice versa (read/write Windows NTFS from OS X)?

I know that as of now, you can read from each OS but you can't write.

Thanks,
    El Burro

2. El Burro thread starter macrumors regular

El Burro

3. ymarker macrumors member

Parallels / Fusion can either use your existing bootcamp or you can install it as a seperate file based system within mac. If you go bootcamp, you need to install nvidia driver (basically it's full win7 + antivirus and everything you'd normally do). If you use vmware, you don't need nvidia drivers, since you're emulating.

This should help:
    Bootcamp-> You're booting into full windows. No virtualization.
    Parallels/Fusion -> You're currently running mac and are virtualizing windows.

4. El Burro thread starter macrumors regular

El Burro

Thanks for the info on using bootcamp and fusion/parallels. Do you recommend one that is faster/simpler than the other? I've searched some websites to see which solution was best --- and it was difficult to come down to a product that was A) simple/easy to configure B) fast --- I dunno if one product is easier to use than the other but slower and vice versa (like say parallels is perhaps faster but harder to configure)

Snow leopard/boot camp comes with nvidia 9400m drivers i think so i was wondering if those drivers that boot camp installs for you are better or worse than the ones directly from nvidia.com?

And also, anyone know of a good solution to read/write between Windows 7 and OS X?

A way to read/write from Windows 7 to OS X from Windows 7 --- AND to read/write from OS X to Windows 7.

So far the only Apple solution has been to read files from the two but not write.

Thanks again, I appreciate your guys help and time.

5. Thedesolateone macrumors newbie

Macdrive 8 would be the place to go for reading/writing HFS+ in Windows (7). Alternatively reformat your HFS+ drives in NTFS and get NTFS-3G/Macfuse for OSX. Another option is FAT32, but that has problems: you cannot write files over 4gb to it in OSX (although all other read/write operations went fine), and my old windows boot (XP) showed an error every time I tried to write to it (reading was fine).

With regards to Nvidia drivers, i have made no headway over the past two days I have had windows 7 installed. Those on my leopard install disc don't seem to have worked. I am going to insert my snow leopard disc and see if it has any windows 7 x64 drivers on it, but i don't hold out much hope to be honest.

I have searched the web and found nothing, and would be very grateful if anyone could help me with that.