Windows 7 bootcamp partition "operating system not found"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kalllo, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Kalllo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've recently decided to move a lot of important files to my windows 7 bootcamp partition and increase the size of it on my late 2011 macbook pro 15". In hindsight and after reading many forum posts I can see that was a horrible idea and right now I'm just at the point of wanting to recover what I can of my files.

Here is the step-by-step of what I did to get to where I currently am:

1. I used disk utilities on the mac side of thing (currently running OSX lion) to shrink the mac partition down in order to make more room to copy the files onto the windows partition.

2. I used Partition Wizard 8 on the windows partition to increase the size of it, and then copied over the important files (which were located on the mac partition). This worked fine. I was still able to boot into both operating systems.

3. I went into the mac partition again and cleaned out the files that I copied over to make even more space. I repeated the process and shrink the mac partition again (My thought process was, "Well it worked once... so it couldn't possibly fail on the second go around.").

4. upon restarting my laptop, the windows partition would not show up. So I immediately start goggling for a solution.

5. I'm an attempt to solve the problem I booted Linux Mint off of a usb drive and used Gparted to look at the windows partition and set it as a boot drive again.

6. Restarted the computer and now I can see the windows partition in the boot menu. When I click it it gives me a "Missing Operating System".

At this point I am feeling pretty screwed and was wondering if anyone could help. I will run whatever diagnostics you want. I've read up on Testdisk and installed it, but I'm afraid to fool around with it in fear of screwing the partition up entirely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if I can't salvage the partition, just getting some of the files off would be enough, but I won't get my hopes up.

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

You may be able to copy stuff from the Windows partition via the Mint desktop.

3. Kalllo thread starter macrumors newbie

Me and my roommate are actually in the process of trying to do that right now.

If anybody knows better please tell us to stop now! :p

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

As long as you've got access to it you should be fine :)

5. Kalllo thread starter macrumors newbie

weeeeelllll that's the issue really. we don't technically have access to it. I ran a windows recovery and used chkdisk and it came back with "There are 1 or more unrecoverable errors".

We are currently using some file snooping and recovery programs from Kali Linux to try and get it off. kali is actually a lot better at recognizing the drives, however it still cannot mount them.

6. Quackers macrumors 6502a