Windows 7 bootcamp performance on new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulgandersman, May 21, 2014.

1. paulgandersman macrumors regular

I just purchased a new high end model retina macbook pro (with the 2gb nvidia graphics). I installed windows 7 via boot camp and everything in it runs fine. However, gaming is not getting very good frame rates at almost any graphics settings... meanwhile on the Mac OS side, I get great graphics and great frame rates (even when trying the same game - diablo 3 for example).

Any idea if there is anything I can do on the windows side to improve this?

Thanks!

2. LtRoyalShrimp macrumors member

LtRoyalShrimp

Have you installed the latest Nvidia drivers?

Please be aware that at the native 2880x1800 res, no game will be playable unless you go with medium or low settings. Even then probably not 60fps.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Have you downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers?

On my rMBP 15" (2.6/16/1TB/750M), BF4 runs fine at 1680x1050, mix of high and ultra, FXAA and 16xAF at 47-50 fps, with the lowest being 35 fps and easily shooting past 60 fps in quite a number of situations.

4. paulgandersman thread starter macrumors regular

I checked for updates via the normal windows update methods and it said the video drivers were up to date. went online and discovered that is not the case. downloaded nvidia experience software which actually updated them to the latest version.

however i'm still not seeing fantastic performance, specifically in Planetside 2. I get decent fps - 30-50, but the image stutters a lot and will hang up, etc.

also if I play diablo 3 on the mac side, its smooth as butter, but on the windows 7 side is gets choppy as well and the mouse doesn't move smoothly...

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can't see it through Windows Update. You have to go to NVIDIA's website and download it manually.

GPU drivers are usually not updated via Windows Update.