Windows 7 Bootcamp questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by brettreardon123, Jun 17, 2011.

1. brettreardon123 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I am considering getting a MBP, as I am a huge fan of the hardware design. However, I am a very committed Windows user, so I would like to install Windows 7 using Bootcamp. I had a couple of questions regarding this, however.
    1. Would it be possible to use an OEM Windows 7 install CD (it would be a new CD, just OEM copies sell for cheaper than full versions)? I am only using it for this computer.
    2. Is there a filesystem I can use to share storage between OSX and Windows for media and file storage? I would like to use OSX some, but in order to use it I would need access to files I use for Windows.
    3. Would I be able to fully use the Thunderbolt connector in Windows?
    Thank you all in advance!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can use OEM, but I don't recommend it. If you are OK with bending the license agreement (as you are with OEM) you might as well use a retail upgrade which can often be had for less than OEM.

exFAT support was recently added to OS X, and you can read/write to that. However, i have had trouble with that personally. Note that you have read access to all files by default. Read only drivers are supplied and enabled in a default Boot Camp install.

I don't have a TB Mac yet, so I couldn't tell you.

Finally, I have used an MBP with W7 for work twice now, and dislike the combination of hardware and OS. Under OS X I love my Macs, under Windows it feels less satisfying than a ood "regular" PC.

B