Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Before I purchase my new iMac (i7 3.4, 8GB Ram, 2GB Video Card) either with SSD and 2 TB HDD or just 2 TB HDD), I need to know if what I want to do with the combo of SSD and 2 TB drive will work on the iMac.

I was planing on getting the 256 GB SSD with the 2 TB HDD, and splitting MacOS Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Pro(bootcamp only) at 128 GB a piece on the SSD. I am pretty sure that will work fine. My question is can I split the 2 TB hdd at 1 GB a piece formatted with half to windows NTFS and half to mac's HFS+? I want to be able to start up Windows 7 have operating system on the SSD and put everything else on the second hard drive, which would of been split up already. It should should show the 1 TB in NTFS. Then, when I startup MacOS the operating system would be on SSD and 1TB leftover, would show up as HFS+, and that can be used for everything else for the Mac. Will this work the way I am proposing. Can I split the 2TB drive the way I want to? Will both operating systems install on the SSD? Is this the smart way to do this? If this won't work, I will probably go with just 2TB HDD and split it with bootcamp, half and half.
Tell me what you think?

Thanks.

Last edited:

phlydude

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Newark, DE
which of the 2 internals are you planning on backing up? the 256 or the 2TB?

Regardless, you can partition the external however you would like...one partition can be HFS+ and another can be NTFS (and you can add more as well if you'd like).

Voondebah

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
There's no great solution for the internal drive to support both OSes. FAT32 has file size limitations. HFS+ or NTFS will require 3rd party software to be able to read/write between both OSes. You could use exFAT, which is supported natively in windows 7 and OS X (10.6.5 or later). This would be a fine choice if you're storing things like media on the internal drive. Make sure you create the exFAT partition in Windows though! I've read that exFAT partitions made in OS X don't always work in Windows 7 (I heard this was resolved, but you can be guaranteed if you format the partition in 7).

For the backup drive, you should be fine to use a single drive with a partition of each type for each OS backup. The key is to make sure that you partition the drive using the GUID Partition Table and not APM.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Splitting a external drive into 2 partitions will work just fine.

Time machine uses whichever partition you choose to backup on, it doesn't take over the whole drive.

Also for Blu-Rays I suggest ArcSoft Total Media Theater 5.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
for the 2TB you should be able to read/write to it just fine with the included BootCamp Drivers in Windows without the need of MacDrive or formatting/partitioning it to NTFS. atleast when I had BootCamp on my Mac it was like this.

zerox

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
I'm looking to do the exact same thing; can anyone confirm this is possible?

Thx,
Z

KwanMan

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
It would work but I would propose a better solution. Split the SSD in half; one for OSX, one for W7. Then for the 2TB HDD, either format it in HFS+ and get Macdrive for windows or format it NTFS and get MacFuse for OSX. This way you can have full read/write capabilities for all your data on both OSs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.