Windows 7 bootcamp student download

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Callumbear845, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Callumbear845 macrumors member

The Microsoft website has a student version of windows 7 for just $30, and I want to install it on my MacBook pro to play games. The problem is that is comes as a download and a backup DVD. Can I install it with bootcamp with the download, or can I use the backup DVD?

Help would be appreciated.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. jsolares macrumors 6502a

is the download an .iso file? if so you can download that and burn it then use that for bootcamp

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most likely the download will be a exe file. You'll have to run the file on a Windows computer and it'll give you an iso file that you can burn and install Windows with.

5. SubsidedProdigy macrumors newbie

If you're talking about the student discount on Windows 7 Professional it won't work unfortunately. That discount is for the Upgrade version of Windows 7 so you would have to have a previous Windows OS already installed in order to install Windows 7. I think there's ways of somehow installing it regardless, but i think it involves changing something in the registry. I'm not 100% sure about this whole thing though, just thought I'd mention it.

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Download it. (It will most likely be an .ISO file.)
    Burn the .ISO file to DVD with Disk Utility
    Use that DVD to install it with Bootcamp Assistant

BTW, the MSDN Academic Alliance website offers Windows 7 Professional as a free download (or $24 for DVD copy) to qualifying students. Just enter the name of your school and see if you qualify.

P.S. You may subsequently need to contact your school's IT department to obtain a licence key.