Windows 7 Catalyst Drivers - Update Guide for New MBP Owners

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 3Putt747, Apr 7, 2011.

1. 3Putt747 macrumors newbie

Wow, what confusion!! I need some "rumors" confirmed (am I in the right place?!? ;) ).

Firstly, can I update my Catalyst Windows 7 drivers on my 2011 15" MBP?

If so, how?

Secondly, can I overclock my HD6750?

If so how?

I have been Googling for 3 days now and can't find definite answers to these questions.

ATM I am sitting in front of a purely stock 2.2GHz 15" MBP with Hi Res screen (am slightly disappointed at getting 18FPS on Crysis 1, native res, medium settings, no AA, linear AF)..

Thx in advance peeps...

2. JasonH42, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Yes and yes, see this thread, posts #314,#318,#320.

My 6750 is only stable overclocked to 780/880 with the newer AMD/ATi driver, others have been able to overclock much higher than this. I might try reverting to the original AMD/ATi driver supplied with Bootcamp to see if that is a factor. Even at 780/880 Crysis 2, BFBC2, COD etc are amazing. :cool:

Edit: not tested Crysis 1, but it would be better

3. 3Putt747 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I OC the Stock Drivers from Apple Bootcamp?

Cool thx man. I think I did skim that thread yesterday. Its the really long one right!? Thx for the post numbers - they'll help a lot!!

So if i read your reply right, I can overclock the stock (bootcamp) drivers right out of the box??

What do I need to start overclocking? Maybe I should try an OC first, to establish a reference point, and then try different drivers. Sound like a plan?

Fairways and greens..

4. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

hi mate,your in win 7 right?,have you applied any tweaks to your system,ie disabling unused services,[like tablet pc input and heaps more]i have exactly same model as u with 8 ram,[2.2 hi res]-do you use game booster?[free]

check out von dach,steam forums,ive used heaps of his tweaks,and am getting 30 -40 fps on most of my games at med/hi settings average25-35/30-40,etc,in cod latest,and crysis whead,and many others,obviously the bios tweaks are out,but windows by itself is such a bloated monster,that it needs refining to really get the best out of it,

i use win lasso [exc prog] too .[has gaming mode]=free download
    also,
    ====NOTE THIS====***

i was getting average performance at first,but then i uninstalled my ati drivers[apple etc] back to vga[microsoft default]=then reinstalled off the osx disc again,this seemed to improve things heaps,i also run 8 gig usb readyboost,now its snappy as all hell,and blitzing it for games,

heres the link,read it all,and do as much as you can with win 7,it all helps,

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315790
    :p:D

:)

5. 3Putt747 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx sorcerer.

Yes i did come accross your recommendation of Von Dach and his tweaks in my travels.

TBH, his guide is a little overwhelming, even for me, a Windoz enthusiast / power user.

Yes i do use Gamebooster. It helped my 3DMark Vantage score a little. Got from P5586 up to P6014. Negligible i guess.

Will start to implement some of his tweaks and see how things go.

Would love to know if OC'ing is possible with the 'stock' Bootcamp catalyst drivers... anyone know??

6. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Originally Posted by JasonH42
    Yes you can overclock with the stock Bootcamp drivers since they are simply ATi/AMD 8.812 drivers as you mention.

7. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Now this is interesting. I reverted back to the 8.812 driver supplied with Bootcamp and can now get a stable overclock of 800/960. :)

8. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

im serious,i noticed a huge difference when i uninstalled the apple drivers[gpu amd off osx install disc etc] rebooted in vga [microsoft default] and reinstalled of disc for a second time,i also re ran windows aero assesment[very important!!]

it was laggy as all hell when i first got it,just after installing win 7 and bootcamp of osx disc etc,i also changed my hdrive to aschi mode not ide,[reg tweak]

9. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

hey,you probably know more en me,but ,download msi afterburner,go to guru3d forums and look at how to enable overclocking in msi afterburner[its not hard,]you have to restart msi afterburner to enable overclock,ie load it,then close it and restart it,each time you do that,it enables more overclocking potential ,be careful overclocking as you know,just bit by bit,

cant do all of von dachs tweaks,but the win 7 multi media class scheduler is a ripper[reg edit]

and i didna know much a year ago,but have been studying heaps and taught meself from folks such as von dach,and googling win 7 tweaks,reg edits for performance etc

the reinstall of apple osx bootcamp drivers is the best thing i did,it fixed the lag,i uninstalled the whole display adapter by accident,my screen went black-----lol------------ didnt panic,forced shut it down -just rebooted in safe mode,stuk disc bak in and did repair,maybe that did it,cos after that,its flying,
    then ran aero agin too,
    hope u get it rippin my fellow gamer,its good for u brain to learn how u os works,:)kind regs ms.